Contribute
Register

steelsam's theory of Thunderbolt functionality on GA-Z87X-UD5-TH (and other TB boards?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 27 inch Apple Cinema Display. I want to use it with my hackintosh, but my board doesn't have a thunderbolt out, which is required for the 27 Thunderbolt Cinema Display.

Will this board be the solution to that? I've got plenty of hackintosh/hardware/windows/osx etc experience. Can someone confirm that this will work with either 10.9 or 10.10 in working with full hardware acceleration on the thunderbolt apple cinema display?

Also, how good would my i7 2600k work for editing go-pro videos. I don't do much video editing and no gaming on this hackintosh, so I'd like to be able to at least edit in realtime 2.7k Go Pro Black 3+ video. I have a ATI 6770 with 5x minidisplayports but it does not work with the ACD with TB. I got it for free, so I don't mind spending $250 on a Z87X if it works for sure.

Hi
I have the same mobo with i5 4460. Things are working, but not properly.
First:
When I boot direct and not from UniBeast, the mobo show an error code 51. Which refers to RAM. But my RAM is ok.
If I boot from USB Stick UniBeast and select then my HardDrive, everything is fine. Code is 01.
If I start from UniBeast and power on my Thunderbolt Apollo Interface, 01 jumps to 51.
The Interface is working etc, I can record trough it etc but I have this issue with 51.
BIOS is set correct for the RAM and change to 1600Mz, which they are.
I also tried with only one stick and others. But, as it is working while booting from USB, I think it has something to do with settings.
Anyone ideas?

SOLUTION:
After all I figured out, that all was a big missunderstandment. The Codes are only valid if one can´t get to the bios or no picture. If you could reach the BIOS or your OS the Numbers have no value at all.

Hello thank you for information. Really good stuff thanks.

I have a question, my sound card on thunderbolt is not recognised when I turn it off or on while Im in Mac OS X, it only works when I restart the computer.

It is recoignized under the system reports under thunderbolt etc.

I did not install Windows, do you think it will help this issue??

It does wake from sleep, but not turn off/on in Mac OS X 10.10.4.

Hello,

I have been working on this Thunderbolt issue for a while now. I was able to get my profiler to start showing my devices as connected in the system profiler as others have, but here's where is get's interesting. I have a CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 station. Obviously running from the Thunderbolt port, USB peripherals connected to work perfectly, however Thunderbolt peripherals like my Seagate Thunderbolt Drive only show as connected in the system profiler, but the CalDigit desktop software that shows what is connected shows all ports as empty.

I also noticed that the CalDigit only started showing connected when I copied and pasted a Thunderbolt key for Mac's info.plist off of a Mac developer website over to my .plist. It also states:

"To declare support for Thunderbolt technology, the following key must be added to each of the personalities in your driver’s Info.plist file.

Listing 2-1 PCI Driver Key (Thunderbolt Operation)
<key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/>

You must include the key in the IOKitPersonalities section of the Info.plist file or the IOPCIFamily will not load the drivers for Thunderbolt connected PCI devices. This opt-in key protects consumers against older drivers that have not yet been updated to support Thunderbolt technology. This method also makes it easy for third party developers, who have properly updated their driver, to signify they have done so. (See example driver Listing 2-2.)"

It goes on to state that the Thunderbolt kexts must have certain info.plist verbiage to make the Thunderbolt recognizable and to trigger OSX to mount the peripherals so that they can be accessed. Soooooooo, I noticed the AHCI 3rd party SATA Kexts that was written by Mac Man looked juuuuuuust like the one on the developer's website once I open the contents package of that kext and compared it to the Thunderbolt I/O Family kexts. Its seems to need a modified info.plist within it's content to trigger full functionality of Thunderbolt. So I am hoping someone in this brotherhood of hackers knows what steps to take from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back