Contribute
Register

Static noise develops, sound volume diminishes, and audio stops working? GA-Z77-DS3H Multibeast 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3550
Graphics
GV-N65TBOC-2GD Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost Rev 1.0
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Apple
  3. Centris
  4. iBook
  5. LC
  6. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Static noise develops, sound volume diminishes, and audio stops working?

Hello:

I just did a clean install with the following hardware:

GA-Z77-DS3H
Crucial 8GB Ballistix Low Profile
i5-3550
Gigabyte GTX-650Ti Boost

I don't have anything connected other than two regular hard drives and keyboard/mouse. I used the following for install:

OSX 10.8.5
Unibeast 2.1
Multibeast 5.5

I was able to get it running without any issues (except this one) with just these options in Multibeast:
UserDSDT-DSDT-Free INstallation
RealtekALC8xx>WithoutDSDT>ALC887/888b>v100302 Current
Customization>BootOptions>GraphicsEnabler=No (did this one manually with textedit)

Things worked fine without even a bootloader. However, I quickly noticed that, during a continuous play of audio (from any player), the sound will start develop a static within a few minutes, and gets worse quite quickly where the sound becomes inaudible, and the volume will become lower. It sort of become plagued with noise, and at the same time fades out. It's a strange behavior that persists after it starts appearing, unless you let it "rest" for a while.

Does anyone have this happening? Sounds like it runs out of juice and needs time for replenishment, which is a bit odd. Perhaps it's got something to do with 10.8.5? Or should I have used the legacy audio driver?

Any feedback is much appreciated, as I have searched and not found this issue reported anywhere. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
I tried the v100202 Legacy driver and it just ended up with no sound. I re-installed v100302current driver for ALC887, and it's still having the problem.

However, I tried the "Drivers&Bootloaders>Driver>Audio>Realtek ALC8xx>Optional 3 Port Audio Enabler" as GA-Z77-DS3H fits the description of having only 3 audio ports, and so far it seems to work. There's no sound cracking up and fading for over half an hour now, where it would start having the problem in less than 5 minutes. It seems to have solved the problem nicely. I'll report back if there are more issues.

Right now autosleep doesn't seem to work--only monitor goes to sleep but not the pc itself. Not sure why and tried darkwake=10 darkwake=no flags to no avail. Still investigating.

UPDATE: Sleep fixed with darkwake=10. I didn't notice since it takes over a minute for the computer to go to sleep and during testing I gave it up too quickly, but it does work (provided there's no apps keeping the system awake). More insanely great details here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ake-0-flag-can-break-auto-sleep-10-8-1-a.html

Love this place.

I just did a clean install with the following hardware:
GA-Z77-DS3H
There is exactly one audio choice that works on your system. Experimenting with any other audio choice results in audio failure. For your system, use MultiBeast 5.5 or newer - Select-Drivers & Bootloaders Drivers - Audio - Realtek ALC8xx - Without DSDT √ ALC887 Current and Optional 3 Port Audio Enabler.

There is exactly one audio choice that works on your system. Experimenting with any other audio choice results in audio failure. For your system, use MultiBeast 5.5 or newer - Select-Drivers &amp; Bootloaders Drivers - Audio - Realtek ALC8xx - <strong>Without DSDT </strong>√ ALC887 Current and Optional 3 Port Audio Enabler.

I used this setting and it worked fine all afternoon. However, just now the static/audio breaking up issue is coming back. I just viewed two youtube videos full screen, one fairly long for 15 minutes, and the sound starts breaking up again. I then stopped playing the video for around 15 seconds, and restart the video again. It worked fine.

I haven't done anything to the settings and it's kinda weird how this happens so randomly. The speaker is self powered so it shouldn't draw too much current from the MB? (which is what it sounds like, as if amplifier is dying) I'll play some more and see what happens.

UPDATE:
Just tested it some more. I would play a music video at moderately low volume for less than 4 minutes and it starts breaking up. Yet if the playing is stopped for a few seconds (more like 10-15 sec), the sound works again. I tried different speakers to the same effect so it's not the speakers. Not sure why.

UPDATE2:
I thought maybe it's flash related, since both Tunein and Youtube were, and that's when problems happened. I played the same podcast on itunes, and no problems for nearly half an hour. I then opened chrome browser: the static comes back instantly! Quitting chrome would instantly fix it. I tried to uninstall hangout plugin, thinking it may have caused it, and it would fix it temporarily too, but the static comes back within seconds. Quitting Google Chrome would fix the static instantly (all this time iTunes was playing non-stop in the background as a control).

Restarting chrome after a few minutes and playing youtube, there doesn't seem to be any trouble for over 15 minutes. After a few hours I was able to duplicate the event again, starting from playing flash video on chrome, and affects the entire audio playback. The cause isn't too clearly Chrome or flash, but seems to be related to flash playback. After the audio breakup, quitting fixes it, starting chrome alone without any flash video would cause it, and somewhat depending on whether if it's loading? It seems during page rendering (such as tonymacx86) it'll also cause break-up, but if the page stays stationary for a while the audio becomes clear. Also it doesn't seem to require quitting, but closing the chrome window would restore broken audio. This last bit isn't totally consistent though, but quitting chrome definitely fixes the issue instantly.

So I suppose it was flash/chrome that causes this? Not positive.. However, it seems that other system audio is fine (itunes) when chrome is off. So maybe it is browser/plugin related. Is flash really buggy on mac?

I haven't let it get to the point that the audio stops, but I have the same motherboard and I have the same symptoms, static develops, audio gets quiet. One channel of the audio (always left) goes silent sometimes.

Stopping the audio for a few seconds does seem to help.

You may be correct that it's flash or chrome related as vlc had no problems but youtube seems to get it.

This did not happen with 10.8.2 (I just updated to 10.8.5 a few hours ago).

I am having the same static problem with my setup. It was fine until I did the 10.8.5 combo update.

I would assume chrome needs to be updated. I too have the same issue.
I haven't let it get to the point that the audio stops, but I have the same motherboard and I have the same symptoms, static develops, audio gets quiet. One channel of the audio (always left) goes silent sometimes.

Stopping the audio for a few seconds does seem to help.

You may be correct that it's flash or chrome related as vlc had no problems but youtube seems to get it.

This did not happen with 10.8.2 (I just updated to 10.8.5 a few hours ago).

Disabling Chrome's integrated Flash plugin and using the system plugin seems to have solved the problem, at least so far.

Disabling Chrome's integrated Flash plugin and using the system plugin seems to have solved the problem, at least so far.

suspected the integrated flash too, but how do you disable it and use system plugin? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back