Contribute
Register

Static audio, quality diminishes, audio stops working via USB interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4970K
Graphics
GTX 760 (x2)
Hi all,

The issue I'm having is driving me insane. I've searched far and wide for a solution but other peoples have not been my own.

I'm using a Gigabyte G1 Z5S Sniper board and I use both a Propellerhead Balance (USB Interface) or a Focusrite 6i6 (USB Interface). Both experience the same issue, which is that after about 5-10 minutes the audio will slowly become staticy and lose quality to the point where it sounds godawful and sounds 8bit. The audio then eventually stops.

The only way to fix it again (for another 5-10 mins) is to toggle the audio output to another source then back to the original output. I can also change the frequency from say 41 to 48 or 96 in audio midi setup. It eventually comes back though.

It's not related to flash or google chrome, because I don't have chrome and even when I don't open a browser, the issue will occur while I play music from Spotify.

I've tried using different AppleUSBAudio.kext files. One from 10.6.8, and also the one from Yosemite which is the OS I'm currently running. I've also tried different SMbios options such as iMac 13,2 etc. Still the static and quality loss comes back. This issue was happening in Mavericks as well, which is why I gave up on Hackintosh last time. I really want to get the audio working because everything else on my Hackintosh is working perfectly now.

I should add that in Windows, the audio is perfect from these interfaces.

Any ideas on what I can try to rectify this?

No suggestions?

I am having the same problem on Yosemite. I am using an AudioQuest Dragonfly USB DAC and intermittently I get the same thing static as you describe. Sometimes I can switch to another output and back and it fixes it. Other times it won't. Sometimes I can unplug the DAC and plug it back in but sometimes that won't help either.

This is driving me nuts! It worked fine in Mavericks. I am using a USB device mainly because it is easier than trying to get the onboard audio to work correctly and it should be universal. What gives?

Heya

Only thread I can find on this forum but it's actually identical to my problem too.
Mine unit has gone as far as 15 minutes and then degrades badly as you describe.
I am currently in contact with Focusrite support about it and I will report back on anything they suggest here.

The one thing to try if you haven't already is this article:
http://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/using-a-scarlett-interface-on-osx-109-mavericks

However it didn't actually make any difference to my experience at all :/

Paul

Same deal here, exactly. It seems a common problem with macs? A usb interface with disintegrating audio. I've a GB mobo and may be able via windows to update the USB chip firmware. But with recording and audio, timing, buffers and latency are ultimately crucial. With this new machine I can't use the 32 buffer setting but 64 and then plugin latency is noticeable especially riffin' on the guitar.

Any ideas (Toleda) on this?! I can post the usually logs if it would help.

thanks.

FIXED: Static audio, quality diminishes, audio stops working via USB interface.

FIX: Isolate that USB port so as only the USB Interface is on it. If it along the hub you get interruptions and hence that static!

About My Mac/System Report/ USB/ USB Device Tree

Hi,

I have the lexicon Omega USB external audio I/F with Yosemite (10.10.4).
Having the same issues, in addition to that, in some cases (most of the times), when I turn on the electric piano, USB connection is blinking and midi does not work, only audio.

The USB connection is not on the HUB, it is on the USB 3 Hi-Speed bus. Maybe USB 3 is not working properly.
I've checked this on windows partition and I didn't have this issue.

Anyone, have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help....I do not have a WIFI.
The issue is with the USB audio I/F and not the piano keyboard.

BTW - what happened after changing the KEXT for USB, like suggested on other threads, USB will stop working completely.
Is there a way to restore the old USB KEXT or I need to re-install OS-X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back