Contribute
Register

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - AppleMacIdiot's G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kinds words, guys!

It has been quite a learning experience with a lot of 'first times' for me. Thankfully, since talking ownership of this case years ago, you guys have been blazing the trail and sharing up some amazing inspiration, insight, ideas, techniques and resources. I'm not sure I would have made it this far without you – hence the title of the thread.

I still have some work ahead of me and I'm trying to resist the itch to rush ahead and start using this as my main rig! I still have some ideas to try out and experimentation to do before I transfer the guts of my G4 Hackintosh into this thing. Mostly, because I know that the second they're in there and working, I'll be far less willing to mess with the case and see out my initial vision for this build.

Until then...

Exactly right!

If I get to the stage of installing the motherboard and cooling then, for me, I know that I am unlikely to rip the case apart again….always good when you can do the mod without the pressure of having to get the case finished right away.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the build.

Good work man. It's coming out great

One of the best mods around. Sorry to revive this one, but I think people navigating the forum on 2019 who don't have time to go to the page 19 and find this will appreciate it. Congrats to the modder.

AppleMacIdiot's First G5 Mod [Updated]

AppleMacIdiot's First G5 Mod

So this is looooong overdue...
I finished a PowerMac G4 mod back in 2012 and threatened to follow it up with a G5 mod. Well, life had other plans. So after almost two years and a life-changing move to the other side of the planet, my new life in the US has finally settled down enough to get back on track with this little project. Yaaaaay!

In a stroke of luck, the G5 case I had gutted back home somehow survived the 3-month trip at sea relatively unscathed and I've also had a lot of time to think about this project. A LOT of time! It also seems that the community has done some pretty amazing work during this time and some great progress has been made, which I have factored into my plans - hence the title of my build.

I purchased my case with some light water damage from what seems to have been a leaky liquid cooling system. I did some basic cleaning out when I originally gutted the system, but it seems the last two years haven't been kind to the damage and I have had some further cleaning, de-rusting and repair up to do.

In this first post I'll take a quick trip through the clean up and repair process, which is almost completed...

Here's my gutted case. You can see the discoloring near the bottom from my previous cleaning attempt.
View attachment 86437

The case stripped down even further to just the cage.
View attachment 86425View attachment 86424View attachment 86423

Some slight rust on the main cage section.
View attachment 86438

After drilling out the rivets and removing the locking / side-panel frame thingy you can see that it took the brunt of the water damage and rusted quite badly.
View attachment 86441View attachment 86440

After some soaking in white vinegar and light scrubbing with a toothbrush things look considerably better. A little light sanding and buffing to smooth out any ridges and it's ready for some paint.
View attachment 86439View attachment 86413

Ready for painting in my quick and dirty paint booth. As you can see, I'm using Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover - Metallic Aluminum (249128). From my test samples the color is an almost exact match with the anodized aluminum of the case with about the same texture. My intention is to spray most of the case to cover up some other blemishes, light scratches and cover-up the body filling that I plan on later
View attachment 86414

The results. Not 100% perfect, but a million times better than before I reckon!
View attachment 86419View attachment 86417View attachment 86416View attachment 86415View attachment 86420

Here's the part along side the original cage. The colour is a tone darker and a slightly cooler grey than the anodized case, but I'm still very happy with the result. In certain light you can't even tell the difference.
View attachment 86421

After stripping down the case,you can see that quite a bunch of the case screws were dirty, rusty, grimy, scratched or all of the above. I'm a stickler for even the slightest detail, so these needed attention.
View attachment 86426

Soaking them in white vinegar for about 10 hours and rinsing them in rubbing alcohol cleaned them up really nicely, but as you can see the stripping process leaves them quite dull and off colour from the original screws.
View attachment 86427View attachment 86428View attachment 86429

Pressing them into a sheet of thin card and spraying them with Rust-oleum sorted them out quickly and perfectly...
The result? Almost good as new! Yaaaaay!
View attachment 86430View attachment 86431View attachment 86432View attachment 86433

That's about it for now. A little more wiping and cleaning the interior and I'll be ready for the next stage.
It has been really slow going thus far, but now that I've FINALLY started the ball rolling again, things should go much quicker in the coming weeks.

My next update will cover my up-coming attempts at cutting the rear of the case to make way for my custom backplate which I intend mount flush. Check out this sneak peak...
View attachment 86434View attachment 86435

I also have some cool plans for an aluminium motherboard tray, an aluminum airflow / deflector system (similar to the Mac Pro) for improved airflow / fan mounting and a few other little goodies for good measure.

Stay tuned for more...

Congrats Bro.
Best G5 mod ever!!!
I’d really like to know how you fabricate back metal with holes and apple logo.

Can you share machining dimensions or drawing?

Keep posing please.

One of the best mods around. Sorry to revive this one, but I think people navigating the forum on 2019 who don't have time to go to the page 19 and find this will appreciate it. Congrats to the modder.

Wow! Thanks for the very kind words!

I’ve been absent from here for a little while. I was a regular lurker, but have been working on other projects, obsessions, life and such.

I actually feel pretty guilty, because I did a bunch more work on this thing, got it up and running, and then put it straight into production, all without any further updates here.

It was my main Hackintosh for a couple years and then my main gaming rig up until just two months ago. The airflow was just so good!

I’ve recently gutted it again and put some old parts back in to use it as my main “Mac“ again.

It’s been a tough beast, but is starting to show some wear on the paint job around the power button now, however the entire back panel is still as strong as ever. Even after two major house moves and a number of reconfigurations, mobo, PSU and fan changes over the years.

I have some dust filter mesh arriving in the next few days i’m hoping to install. So I’m probably going to pull out most of the components clean out the interior, touch up some wear and scratches, and post a loooooong past overdue update with all the other stuff I did all those years ago, like the custom hand-cut aluminum motherboard tray, front fan holder and 4 disk hotswap HDD cage mount. Maybe even the aluminum HDD / CPU airflow shroud I made that currently sits in a box of parts somewhere unused.

Thanks again, and keep an eye out for updates in the coming month or so...

Last edited:
Congrats Bro.
Best G5 mod ever!!!
I’d really like to know how you fabricate back metal with holes and apple logo.

Can you share machining dimensions or drawing?

Keep posing please.

Hi! Thanks for the compliment. It really means a lot.

I’ll see if I can find the original drawings I did. If I remember, there were some technical and logistical reasons for not sharing it originally. Once I remember exactly what those were, I’ll message you if you are still interested.

Hi! Thanks for the compliment. It really means a lot.

I’ll see if I can find the original drawings I did. If I remember, there were some technical and logistical reasons for not sharing it originally. Once I remember exactly what those were, I’ll message you if you are still interested.
Hi bro, any hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back