Contribute
Register

Stability dependent on M.2 slot on Z370?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 and have been running it on the mobo CPU Upgrade of 5.0GHz for a few years without problems. Currently the computer often restarts during boot up or shortly after log in in Mojave on the M2M slot when CPU Upgrade is set to 5.0GHz, but not in Catalina on the same M2M NVMe drive (that I have yet to reproduce more than once I think), and not at all on the M2P slot where I have Big Sur or booting up from external USB drives. Once Mojave has booted up and has been running for a few minutes, if it hasn't restarted by then, then it is completely stable. If I set the CPU Upgrade to 4.8GHz Mojave is completely stable.

I previously had a BIOS issue where the memory was unstable shortly after upgrading to F15a BIOS, and was only stable after increasing the DRAM voltage to 1.40V and using slots 3 and 4, but reflashing fixed this, but has not fixed the CPU Upgrade issue.

I thought it might be a motherboard or BIOS issue but wonder if it is something to do with Mojave or whether I was just lucky before. I have tried F14 and it has the same problem with CPU Upgrade.

I have read that the CPU Upgrade feature can be problematic and perhaps I just had good luck in the prior years at 5.0GHz. However, I may try manual overclocking if it is likely to provide a 5.0GHz+ result that is stable with Mojave. Any comments please? Thanks.

Last edited:
You were just "lucky" before. Which M.2 slot you use should not affect stability.

It's pretty obvious your overclock settings are not stable. When you overclock, you need to test for heat and stability. Just because it boots in to the operating system is not enough. At the very least, I run Prime95 for an hour and do 20+ consecutive Geekbench runs.

You were just "lucky" before. Which M.2 slot you use should not affect stability.

It's pretty obvious your overclock settings are not stable. When you overclock, you need to test for heat and stability. Just because it boots in to the operating system is not enough. At the very least, I run Prime95 for an hour and do 20+ consecutive Geekbench runs.
Thanks! Out of interest, have you matched or bettered the max CPU Upgrade with a stable manual OC on your Z390?

Thanks! Out of interest, have you matched or bettered the max CPU Upgrade with a stable manual OC on your Z390?

I always do my overclocks manually. I can get 5.0GHz with 1.29v on Turbo LLC and 5.1GHz with 1.33v on Turbo LLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back