Contribute
Register

SSD Slow and stutter No Trim Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok will do mate!

only problem is that Blackmagic doesnt finish.. it carries on going! shall i just stop it after some time and screenshot it?

Do a little vid clip if you like, only need to let it run for a minute or even less.

I've left it for ages and it still doesnt finish... but heres a screenshot. I didn't realise it said TRIM SUPPORT: Yes.... :( i was looking in Storage.... anyway here it is... its still very slow.... when i got the drive i got 300ish read and 200ish write!

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Voila_Capture 2015-04-07_06-43-26_pm.png
    Voila_Capture 2015-04-07_06-43-26_pm.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 126
That is a bit low. I have an old Sandisk here and stopped using it because of performance issues. It worked, just not very fast, and nowhere near as much as advertised, almost to the point I thought it was faulty too.

Also your capacity on that one is not huge. Generally with SSD's, the smaller they are, the less they perform.

You must consider also that the drive may be simply wearing out. The storage in SSDs does degrade eventually to a point where you can read but not write anymore. That degradation is a one way journey and only gets worse. This is usually dependent on how much data has been written to the drive over its lifetime.

A quick check on some reviewa of this drive on Amazon shows a few people found the same 'stuttering' you are experiencing.

You should consider your warranty options and age of the drive, check to see if there are firmware updates that may fix known problems and if possible try the drive in a different machine to help rule out any missed setup/configuration options.

Lastly, check what it says when you click on 'Intel 8 Series Chipset' just above the SSD so we can see the connection settings for the drive.

That is a bit low. I have an old Sandisk here and stopped using it because of performance issues. It worked, just not very fast, and nowhere near as much as advertised, almost to the point I thought it was faulty too.

Also your capacity on that one is not huge. Generally with SSD's, the smaller they are, the less they perform.

You must consider also that the drive may be simply wearing out. The storage in SSDs does degrade eventually to a point where you can read but not write anymore. That degradation is a one way journey and only gets worse. This is usually dependent on how much data has been written to the drive over its lifetime.

A quick check on some reviewa of this drive on Amazon shows a few people found the same 'stuttering' you are experiencing.

You should consider your warranty options and age of the drive, check to see if there are firmware updates that may fix known problems and if possible try the drive in a different machine to help rule out any missed setup/configuration options.

Lastly, check what it says when you click on 'Intel 8 Series Chipset' just above the SSD so we can see the connection settings for the drive.

Ok will do but i only got this drive about half a year ago, whereas my 840 EVO which i use for Windows is still very quick! (I've had it for more than 1 1/2 years....)

i can't find any firmware updates... the drive i got is the 128gb Pulse one.... help? i might just have to buy another SSD and use this for storage.... if it comes to that, how can i move everything over to a new ssd without losing anything and carry on from where i left? i probs will buy a 840 evo or something and use this for quick storage.... (although a HDD would be quicker....)

i can't find any firmware updates... the drive i got is the 128gb Pulse one.... help? i might just have to buy another SSD and use this for storage.... if it comes to that, how can i move everything over to a new ssd without losing anything and carry on from where i left? i probs will buy a 840 evo or something and use this for quick storage.... (although a HDD would be quicker....)

At 6 months old I would seriously consider having this replaced under warranty. You should consider how much data has been written to it though, as previously mentioned, and only you will have an idea of this.

43 MB/s is slower than a decent spec hard drive.

Assuming your other SSD's are all performing as expected in the same machine on the same controller, this is either a very poorly performing drive to begin with, or there is something not right with it.

I suppose you could try backing up the contents then flash erasing the drive to see if it recovers a bit, but that is not a guarantee of improving things.

You dont say how much data is currently on it, but if it is near full, that can be a contributing factor also.

At 6 months old I would seriously consider having this replaced under warranty. You should consider how much data has been written to it though, as previously mentioned, and only you will have an idea of this.

43 MB/s is slower than a decent spec hard drive.

Assuming your other SSD's are all performing as expected in the same machine on the same controller, this is either a very poorly performing drive to begin with, or there is something not right with it.

I suppose you could try backing up the contents then flash erasing the drive to see if it recovers a bit, but that is not a guarantee of improving things.

You dont say how much data is currently on it, but if it is near full, that can be a contributing factor also.

its got about 20-30gb free.... and im thinking of warranty.... but i dont know how! as i probably said before, im 13 and dont know that much about stuff like warranty and stuffs... if i can get a refund that would be better because i can then buy a 840/850 evo for about £10-£20 more.... otherwise a replacement would be ok as long as it doesnt do the same thing...

its got about 20-30gb free.... and im thinking of warranty.... but i dont know how! as i probably said before, im 13 and dont know that much about stuff like warranty and stuffs... if i can get a refund that would be better because i can then buy a 840/850 evo for about £10-£20 more.... otherwise a replacement would be ok as long as it doesnt do the same thing...

You should prob speak with your parents then and see about having it replaced under the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back