Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This might help you decide on what drive to buy:
SATA-3-Chart1.png

From http://thessdreview.com

Note that you get full speed out of these drives then it's best to use a motherboard with Intel controlled SATA III ports such as Z68 motherboard. Or please take a look at the SATA 6Gbps PCIe controller on the blog but it's not quite full speed as it's limited by PCIe 2.0:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/08/increasing-disk-performance-sata-6gbs.html

Note that I'm running an OCZ Vertex 3 at over 400MB/s on this PCIe controller and enabled Trim in Lion and it's running like a dream.

Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test.png
Mac Pro.png

Asus Sabertooth P67 :headbang:
TRIM-Support Yes :thumbup:

Attachments

• Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test.png
    Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test.png
    416.8 KB · Views: 819
  • Mac Pro.png
    Mac Pro.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 488
notshy, your ssd works speed total in lion? pci card works all 100% speed in ssd, or is better other pci?

jpa said:
notshy, your ssd works speed total in lion? pci card works all 100% speed in ssd, or is better other pci?

My SSD isn't at full speed because the PCI card isn't as fast as running direct from the Intel Chipset in a sandy-bridge board. I'm getting around 400 MB/s out of my Vertex 3 instead of 500 MB/s however my SATA II was giving me 250 MB/s so it's a definite improvement.

I haven't yet tested it out in Windows to try the speed there.

OWC's SSDs still pack the older 34nm Flash Memory, which provides Users with an overall longer life-span for the Drive. Also, since those are generally made for OS X Users, they're not designed with Firmware in mind, so I'd personally recommend them in a heartbeat. They can stand up to about any other SATA III SSD currently on the market, and on specific tests even beat OWC's Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Edition.

If you're considering an OCZ Vertex 3 though, I'd recommend taking the jump for the MAX IOPS Edition, its 20-40$ more but (according to Reviews), like the OWC Drives, it packs the older 34nm NAND Flash, providing the drive with a longer life-span compared to a normal Vertex 3 Drive. These however use Firmware to achieve their full potential, which last I checked still don't have an OS X version.

Both Drives pack TRIM Support.

Far as the rest, no idea. Although I know at least one more Drive on the list packs the older 34nm Flash. Think the Patriot Wildfire.....

And yeah, PCIe Cards tend to lack a Controller, so SATA Speeds on those are generally slower than with Controller.

notshy said:
Note that I'm running an OCZ Vertex 3 at over 400MB/s on this PCIe controller and enabled Trim in Lion and it's running like a dream.
Do you mind if I ask where you bought it from I spent hours trying to find a suitable card in the UK, orderd one form Ebay coming from China. :banghead: Mike

mikemelbrooks said:
notshy said:
Do you mind if I ask where you bought it from I spent hours trying to find a suitable card in the UK, orderd one form Ebay coming from China. :banghead: Mike

Mine is from eBay as I stated in my original thread in General Tuning. It look about 2 weeks to arrive from Hong Kong but at £15 - I couldn't really complain!

I posted this in another place, but just an FYI...

I have the OWC Mercury 6G 120GB drive and I can't get the new Lion Unibeast to install. I have tried everything. Both the SATA 2 and SATA 3 ports are giving me fits on my Z68-UD5-B3 F9 board.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back