Contribute
Register

SSD purchase advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Crucial M4 is a good drive. The advisability of purchasing a used one? That's up to you...

I take it putting a ssd in my 4530s means a full reinstall then TimeMachine my stuff back on?

I take it putting a ssd in my 4530s means a full reinstall then TimeMachine my stuff back on?

Or clone your working partition to a partition on the SSD (provided it fits), and then re-installing the bootloader.

Or clone your working partition to a partition on the SSD (provided it fits), and then re-installing the bootloader.

I'd like it to fit (750GB) but I'm not spending that much, I'll just make it fit under 250g... stupid question but can I clone via a usb?

I'd like it to fit (750GB) but I'm not spending that much, I'll just make it fit under 250g... stupid question but can I clone via a usb?

You can clone with USB if you have a USB->SATA adapter.

I'd also recommend buying a new one, as it's a flash drive you can write to a space 1000 times (estimated figure before a sector fails) The previous owner may have downloaded tons of stuff then moved to completed downloads to another drive (used to do it myself on my hdd) so the same sectors have heavy use so are likely to fail early.
At least a new drive will have a guarantee and you know it hasn't been abused.
Is it worth saving a few quid/bucks if it fails after 5 months? I don't think so! But it's up to you if you are willing to take a chance.

I would go with Intel. They are validated for three years of worry-free life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back