Contribute
Register

SSD not Recognized as Bootable after Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the outputs of diskutil, the physical volume is always the slice 2 of the drive (ex: disk0s2) which makes sense.
I'm a unix admin for a few years now and the slice 2 on Solaris and other UNIX based OS is most of the time equivalent to the whole disk.
Maybe we need to install boot loader on the slice 2...
I also hope a veteran of Chimera will see our posts, I try to keep the thread as alive as possible.

I understand that it's kinda crazy on the forum right now for the mods and the kingpins that will be able to take a look at our problem, but I'm willing to wait a few days and continue booting with the usb drive while searching for a solution :)

Ok, I'm now able to boot on my SSD!

First, I use Multibeast with Non-DSDT as usual so I can have all I need in /System/Library/Extensions and /Extra.

Second, I use the 200MB EFI partition to boot and install Chimera as described in this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Optional, I've add a symlink to my Yosemite partition that point to Extra in the EFI partition so I don't have to move stuff around in case I need to rerun Multibeast in the future (after an OS X update):

ln -s /Volumes/EFI/Extra /Extra

Last edited:
I had same issue(s) regarding starting from ssd. I could boot up from usb but everytime tried main drive came back with kernel issue. I then remembered i had a similar issue in the past and that was resolved once i had removed the usb stick, booted straight up. Seemed having the usb in was conflicting with the boot order, even though i had returned boot back to default. I now have everything working, trim, usb 3 etc.... :)

First, I use Multibeast with Non-DSDT as usual so I can have all I need in /System/Library/Extensions and /Extra.

Second, I use the 200MB EFI partition to boot and install Chimera as described in this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition

Optional, I've add a symlink to my Yosemite partition that point to Extra in the EFI partition so I don't have to move stuff around in case I need to rerun Multibeast in the future (after an OS X update):

I'm booting from the SSD now but I still get the "Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

After the manual installation of the boot loader with fdisk and dd, I was able to boot on the SSD with a text version of Chimera.
The only option I had was -v which started to boot in verbose but failed because I was missing FakeSMC and other component. All other options (-x, -x -v, gave me the Can't find Kernel)

I had to reboot a last time with the USB, re-run Multibeast with SSD as a target, then move everything from /Extra to the /Extra located on the EFI partition. (that's why I suggest the symlink option to /Extra)

I'm going to try this later. Been racking my brain and this site for fix for this boot from SSD issue. Had no problem on my HDD only system. Only SSD system giving me grief.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition

I'm getting a 404 error from that link.

The link is ok now.

corbywan, I'm curious! Can you post the result of "diskutil cs list" from your computer with HDD?
Still trying to figure out what's different with my setup, but I like the EFI solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back