Contribute
Register

SSD not bootable after APFS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
2011 Macbook Pro
CPU
i7 > Need full model number > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 6750 + HD 3000
I've been running High Sierra on SSD for a long time, HFS+ formatted, I think. Recently I did updates from Apple and now my disk is not bootable, not even in Recovery. No drive even visible at boot. No errors, just the question-marked folder. If I boot from an external drive (High Sierra installer HFS+), I can run Disk Utility on it (OK), list APFS volumes (cmd line), and even set it as the Start Disk, but it will not boot either internal or external. Also can't install using the HS Installer, error: not HFS+ formatted drive. Ironic...
I have an APFS Preboot volume and I have run preboot updates and bless'd the disk. My files are safely stored, but not as a TM backup, so I'm loath to format the drive, at least until I'm out of options.

I'm not very knowledgeable about unix, or how all this works. Read a number of posts and I have not tried to create a Preboot because I have one, but something must be wrong with it. Anyone have any straightforward ways to fix this without reformatting?

Update/More info: I didn't mention that this MB Pro was recently repaired with a new logic board. I had booted HS from the SSD before sending it off, to get the Radeon GPU fixed. It came back running El Capitan, but now, I'm learning about EFI partitions and firmware updates on HS install. So, I abandoned the SSD fix just to see if I could get High Sierra installed again. I've tried installing from a working El Capitan HD as well as a freshly formatted drive and no matter what I try, they all end up at the dreaded "An error occurred while verifying firmware".

From the System Report, I have a MacbookPro8,2 with Boot ROM MBP81.0047.B2C and SMC 1.69f4. Apparently that needs to change, but I can't get there.

I have tried installing in safe mode, running disk verify/repair, installing from a fresh download of HS, installing from El Capitan, a USB installation disk as well as in Recovery mode and all roads lead to the same dead end.

I'm thinking my FW issue may have a lot to do with my SSD issue, but not sure. Still looking for ideas. Else I'm sending back to the repair shop to get a new logic board again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back