Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

I will be building a hackintosh using the ASUS P9X79 PRO motherboard. (I'm aware of the issues with this chipset, PM, etc...please don't post about this)

This board supports SSD caching, and I am wondering which would be more important for the cache drive (SSD): IOPS (4kb random read/write) or the drive's max read/write speed (large file transfer).

Thanks!

SSD caching is not working on OS X.;)

SSD caching is not working on OS X.;)

Not even running Mountain Lion? :O How's that possible? I thought it was all hardware-based and didn't affect the OS at all.

Any idea if/when it will become supported?

SSD caching (Intel Smart Response) requires drivers on the OS. Intel has chosen to only release drivers for Windows at this point.

I see. Would that apply for the ports with a non-Intel controller? (I forgot the name, Marvell or something)

SSD caching as a whole is pointless if you have a large enough SSD.
The idea behind SSD caching is that you use a small SSD 20-64GB and use that as a cache for your hard drive, as this was meant to be a more cost conscious option compared to buying a larger SSD.

Considering the cost of a 128GB SSD these days, it makes little to no sense to use caching on a desktop system. In a notebook things are a bit different, but that's also a different topic.

And no, there are no third party controller based SSD caching solutions that work in OS X and I don't even think solutions that use a type of SATA port multiplier works in OS X as you still need to run custom software for the initial setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back