UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
ISSUE
====
Two identical SSDs were installed and are indistinguishable when selecting a boot drive in the BIOS. A preliminary check of "disk utility" did not find the ability to change the name of the "BIOS" name of the disk. The actual boot mechanism is UEFI

QUESTION
======
It would be ideal enumerate the "BIOS" name of the disk the disks. How can this be done?

As far as I know. The disk(s) cannot have the same "Name / ID". That's not possible.

If you have 2 physical disks of the same brand model. They might show up with the same name. But not in the BIOS. The BIOS deals with hardware ID. Usually location of the PCI, SATA, PORT, etc, etc. Unless your BIOS is reading just the name/model which would be stupid IMO.

The goal is to be able to distinguish one disk from the other when selecting the boot disk in the BIOS

Boot with an Ubuntu live Linux USB disk then if the efibootmgr is not installed installed it using the command line in Terminal sudo apt update then sudo apt install efibootmgr. Once installed use it to check the disk boot order efibootmgr -v in the Terminal. After this use the -L option to add a label to the drives so when you use your boot option menu, on my board the F12 key, when booting it has a name to choose the proper drive you want to boot with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back