Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, I've been looking to upgrade my machine and everyone is stating that a SSD is one of the best upgrades you can install. What is currently the best way to use a ssd in a hackintosh system. I saw a forum post about fusion drives, does that work or should i stick with the original osx operating system only on ssd method. Also, I want applications to be on the SSD, but can i have only some applications on the SSD with the rest on the HD? The reason i ask is because i have 150gb worth of applications but only need like 50 gb worth of applications on the SSD. With this said what size do i need to buy? I would prefer smaller due to the price. What brand is the best? Can i use CCC to copy my working 10.7.4 install over or will i need to do a fresh install on the SSD?

Hey guys, I've been looking to upgrade my machine and everyone is stating that a SSD is one of the best upgrades you can install. What is currently the best way to use a ssd in a hackintosh system. I saw a forum post about fusion drives, does that work or should i stick with the original osx operating system only on ssd method. Also, I want applications to be on the SSD, but can i have only some applications on the SSD with the rest on the HD? The reason i ask is because i have 150gb worth of applications but only need like 50 gb worth of applications on the SSD. With this said what size do i need to buy? I would prefer smaller due to the price. What brand is the best? Can i use CCC to copy my working 10.7.4 install over or will i need to do a fresh install on the SSD?

So far, the Samsung 840 Pro version is the fastest/best rated SSD. The 256G is actually faster than the 128G.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%2050001077%20600052674&IsNodeId=1&name=MLC

Best to do a clean install so the installer knows it is on a SSD - clone from HDD to SSD is not always a success - stability issues.

So far, the Samsung 840 Pro version is the fastest/best rated SSD. The 256G is actually faster than the 128G.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%2050001077%20600052674&IsNodeId=1&name=MLC

Best to do a clean install so the installer knows it is on a SSD - clone from HDD to SSD is not always a success - stability issues.

I second that. Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD's are the best on the market for the price and the performance from all my research.

The buyers guide says to use a sandisk SSD, but personally its up to you. In my opinion, sandisk only make good memory cards :lol:

What is the difference between pro and non-pro versions?

Pros have better chips which will last longer. That is important if you write a lot files every day on the SSD. Also the chips are mostly faster and provide a higher writing performance.

What is the difference between pro and non-pro versions?

Get the pro. :)
Just like Dschijn said, they are faster and will last longer.

Ok, whats the best way to know how much space i need? How much does osx take up? Do i have to have all my applications on the SSD?

OK, i just got the SSD. What optimizations do i have to make in OSX and Bios for a SSD. Also, is it necessary for a clean install on mac? I thought that that was only needed for windows. If a clean install is necessary whats the best way to copy all my old settings over?

Just make sure you connect the SSD to an SATA III port provided by the Intel chipset and not sth like Marvel…

You can clone your installation to the SSD, maybe you need to reinstall the "drivers" with Multibeast.

Install TRIM support from Multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back