i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I recently swapped out my workhorse 2012 13in non retina (twin ssd + 16gb ram) for a bargain (cosmetically challenged) 2017 non Touch Bar 13in, having worked out that it was possible, though potentially a little problematic, to swap out the 256gb apple ssd for a 1tb+ standard NVMe.

I followed this thread on Macrumors detailing approaches and issues found, and thought our community might have some more comprehensive ideas about what is actually on.

first of all there appear to be two main adaptors available
otherb.jpgs-l500a.jpg
the NFHK is the main one in the thread with the one marked Airnvme-N03 ver006 not yet tried out.

The main issues that affects many (yet not all) once the upgrade has been completed are the drive vanishing after sleep (only if the power is connected), and battery drain during sleep.
It has been proposed that the extra components (resistors and capacitors) on the AIRNVME may sort out these issues, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea why this might be happening and if the extra components will sort this out.
I have ordered both adaptors as I only heard about the more advanced model late ands will not be buying an NVMe until I am clear about what is happening.

The other issue is more mechanical, in that the case and adaptors are made for the 2242 form factor which only has a limited choice of available higher capacity ssds, and most people are going for the Sabrent rocket 2242, although some have gone for the full sized 2280 and taped it in place with few issues apart from excessive heat from the Samsung.

I am moving towards a 2280 and adding a Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 which should transfer any heat to the base plate quite nicely...

So any thoughts and experience on this would be greatly appreciated especially why the machines should have such strange issues with sleep and power.

Ta very.

İ got the same issue like others but i guess most of the people dont aware of ac plugged turn on mac question mark issue cuz i believe those guys using non apple ac and that makes mac open as suppose to be..dot know weather its for lower power from ac than original apple ac..but battery drain always was the problem..i send massege to h1111z chinies company about the brand new adaptor you post the picture at..they are not turning my questions..

Iv'e just got the ADATA XPG SX 6000 1tb ssd, and have both models of adaptor to test, so once the suction cup arrives to help remove the bottom case I shall report back with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back