Contribute
Register

Sporadic prohibited logo Mojave 10.14.5 (maybe other versions of mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello guys!

I noticed after updating to 10.14.5 that sometimes, not every time, when booting, right after selecting the boot partition in clover, the screen only shows the prohibited white logo and the computer halts.

If I reboot It will boot normally, but this happens sometimes.

I have 3 ssds 1 windows, 1 main OSX and 1 for Testing OSX so I can boot from either drive. I use bios defaults without touching any other setting (somebody told me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so that's why I did not change any setting) I don't know if this information may give you a hint.

Has this happened to any of you or I'm the only one with this situation?

Thanks and I wish a good day to all.

Cheers

Hello guys!

I noticed after updating to 10.14.5 that sometimes, not every time, when booting, right after selecting the boot partition in clover, the screen only shows the prohibited white logo and the computer halts.

I have 3 ssds 1 windows, 1 main OSX and 1 for Testing OSX so I can boot from either drive. I use bios defaults without touching any other setting (somebody told me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so that's why I did not change any setting) I don't know if this information may give you a hint.

Cheers

Hi there.

Two things:

1) Is there really such a thing as an i7-8800 ?

2) The prohibited symbol is usually a sign that, basically, the drive isn't bootable. In your case maybe the BIOS is in some way getting confused over the First Boot Device in your system. Windows often installs a "Windows Boot Manager" in a UEFI BIOS, Linux will do something similar. You may not realise it, but yes, there are writable areas in there.

So, as for how to solve your problem ... All I can think of with the present information is to ensure you set your macOS SSD as the first boot option in BIOS. You could always do a check of your BIOS after a failure to see if First Boot has been changed ...

:)

Hello guys!

Cheers

The prohibited sign means that OSX has lost the boot drive. I've found this for me to be mostly an issue with the way Clover is allocating memory resources. There is an .efi driver in Clover, one of which is called OSXaptiMemoryfix.efi, or something similar to that. I have to use the one with 2000 in the name and the additional EFI driver that fakes NVRAM.

Sometimes this happens because something seems to get stuck, and a cold reboot will resolve it. So if you are switch between operating systems this could be also be cause by the other OS.

No, you are not alone and I've had this problem off and on over the years, I really dislike intermittent problems.

I had a similar issue and it was related to the Aptio driver in clover running out of memory. Try replacing your Aptio Clover driver with the new version "AptioMemoryFix.efi" - for me it also helped to turn on "Fast Boot".

Hi there.

Two things:

1) Is there really such a thing as an i7-8800 ?

Well, I have to say that you are right on guessing, there is not such thing as an I7 8800, but rather a 8700, my mistake and I will change my profile, thanks for noticing it. It was a mistype when updating my profile.

So, as for how to solve your problem ... All I can think of with the present information is to ensure you set your macOS SSD as the first boot option in BIOS. You could always do a check of your BIOS after a failure to see if First Boot has been changed ...

I will go over my BIOS settings again and I will see if they do the trick, thank you so much for your time.

Cheers!

The prohibited sign means that OSX has lost the boot drive. I've found this for me to be mostly an issue with the way Clover is allocating memory resources. There is an .efi driver in Clover, one of which is called OSXaptiMemoryfix.efi, or something similar to that. I have to use the one with 2000 in the name and the additional EFI driver that fakes NVRAM.

Sometimes this happens because something seems to get stuck, and a cold reboot will resolve it. So if you are switch between operating systems this could be also be cause by the other OS.

No, you are not alone and I've had this problem off and on over the years, I really dislike intermittent problems.

Thanks a lot for your time, I'm a bit lost, can you please tell us more about how you did it? I´m not quite sure if I understand correcly what you mean with the 2000.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back