Contribute
Register

Spoofing OS into "Sierra." HP Elitebook 8560p Laptop?

How to spoof the OS version to higher #

• Will it work if done correctly?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will the apps for the prior system version work as well?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
SuperMicro X9Dai
CPU
E5 2650 (x2)
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, Thanks for your help. I hope this is not an off topic against the rules (if so I did not see anything regarding)..

I am trying to spoof my OS into thinking it's Sierra, as Mavericks & Yosemite are the OS versions where all the hardware works without problems (more or less except the network, WIFI & Bluetooth). I have a HP Elitebook 8560p and have tried the various versions.

I have tried installing Sierra and the AMD Radeon HD 6470m no longer works, and the USB 3.0 is questionable. I kept the Sierra applications that install with the OS in a separate folder than the ones I used in Mavericks.

Technically the OS is still Mavericks, but I want it to think it's Sierra so that hardware works better. Some of the critical utilities no longer work, like Disc Utility among others and a lot of the OS X native apps. Is there a way to get these to work?

I apologize if this is a taboo discussion, but I do not see anything on the rules regarding "spoofing." If so please take it easy on me for ignorance. If this topic is OK I will detail what I have tried to get the spoof started, but I need to still complete some steps.

Hello, Thanks for your help. I hope this is not an off topic against the rules (if so I did not see anything regarding)..

I am trying to spoof my OS into thinking it's Sierra, as Mavericks & Yosemite are the OS versions where all the hardware works without problems (more or less except the network, WIFI & Bluetooth). I have a HP Elitebook 8560p and have tried the various versions.

I have tried installing Sierra and the AMD Radeon HD 6470m no longer works, and the USB 3.0 is questionable. I kept the Sierra applications that install with the OS in a separate folder than the ones I used in Mavericks.

Technically the OS is still Mavericks, but I want it to think it's Sierra so that hardware works better. Some of the critical utilities no longer work, like Disc Utility among others and a lot of the OS X native apps. Is there a way to get these to work?

I apologize if this is a taboo discussion, but I do not see anything on the rules regarding "spoofing." If so please take it easy on me for ignorance. If this topic is OK I will detail what I have tried to get the spoof started, but I need to still complete some steps.

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.
No idea what you're trying to do...

Your AMD/Radeon (assuming you don't have Intel HD3000), can work on El Capitan & Sierra, but has issues with sleep/wake. Suggest you stick with older versions if you need sleep/wake.

Why "spoof" it? Why not just install it and work through the issues?

Your AMD/Radeon (assuming you don't have Intel HD3000), can work on El Capitan & Sierra, but has issues with sleep/wake. Suggest you stick with older versions if you need sleep/wake.

I have the Radeon and not the intel GFX card. It was able to work by using the HP ProBook Installer App in Mavericks/The GPU worked after I followed the ProBook Installer steps. I followed the same steps in Sierra, and it did no enable the GPU. I have tried everything I can think of to get the Radeon working in Sierra. No Dice. If there is anyone on the forum whom can help I would appreciate it.

I can send an IO registry report and the kexts, as well my config.plist and anything else to whomever on the forum wants to help.

Here's what I did to get the Radeon HD 6470m to get to work in Mavericks:
f4 at Clover
used the ProBook Installer
restarted and the GPU worked in Mavericks
I assume the application patches the ACPI/APCI files somewhere and adds some clover related drivers? as well mods the 6000 series kext to get the GPU working

Here's what I have tried to get the Radeon HD 6470m to work in Sierra (Not working)

f4 at Clover extracting the ACPI
tried the probook installer (said the install was successful but still no GPU acceleration or VRAM amount recognition)
tried using the patched kext from Mavericks in the S/L/E in Sierra with kext install and repair to the SLE
tried differing device ID's in Clover and frambuffers in Clover

Why "spoof" it? Why not just install it and work through the issues?

I cannot get the Radeon HD 6470m to work in Sierra, but it will work in Mavericks. The USB 3/renseas controller also seems to be flaky as I am uncertain if I am getting true USB 3.0 speed. The motherboard has an Intel 6 series chipset. I tried the probok installer app that enables the v card in clover/Mavericks, but no dice in Sierra. I tried to copy the modded kext over to Sierra among other things and the v card does not see the v ram and no gpu acceleration.

I was trying to get the OS version to reflect Sierra, so I can install some applications that require a higher OS X version. I was able to install Sierra but the same steps that worked to enable the Radeon HD 6470m video card do not work in Sierra. I have a working Mavericks partition that i was trying to spoof, as the hardware works better.

I cannot get the Radeon HD 6470m to work in Sierra, but it will work in Mavericks. The USB 3/renseas controller also seems to be flaky as I am uncertain if I am getting true USB 3.0 speed. The motherboard has an Intel 6 series chipset. I tried the probok installer app that enables the v card in clover/Mavericks, but no dice in Sierra. I tried to copy the modded kext over to Sierra among other things and the v card does not see the v ram and no gpu acceleration.
@RehabMan said:
So, given my research, and experience, I'd work with him to get Sierra going on your laptop instead of trying to hodgepodge two OS versions... You should be able to do it or he'd say you couldn't.

I was trying to get the OS version to reflect Sierra, so I can install some applications that require a higher OS X version. I was able to install Sierra but the same steps that worked to enable the Radeon HD 6470m video card do not work in Sierra. I have a working Mavericks partition that i was trying to spoof, as the hardware works better.

Use search/google to determine what you need to do for your Radeon on Sierra...
It should be at least similar to what you're doing on Mavericks/Yosemite...
I have no Radeon hardware, therefore no specific advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back