CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Decided to get some new speakers and so far not impressed with sound at all. I am a complete noob to speakers but did a bit of reading and the speakers I tried got good reviews. So far I have tried:

1. Ruark-MR1 connecting straight out of my mobo soundcard with 3.5mm jack and tried bluetooth
2. Audioengine A2+ B via USB as it has onboard DAC and also tried 3.5mm jack

With both of these I have connected a Yamaha YST FSW050 Subwoofer

So far, the sound has not been good at all - it sounds muffled, I appreciate this is not the highest end set up but the speakers get good reviews and I think with some guidance I can get good setup.

Questions:

1. I notice that if I use the software equaliser on my Radium (online radio player for Mac) player I can improve the sound a lot just by increasing the treble, but I can't do that on Spotify for example so do I need some sort of in line amp that will allow me to adjust the sound?
2. The Audioengine speakers seem the better of the two I have tried, should I stick with its USB input or are there drawbacks to that for improving the sound?
3. Should it make any difference if I connect via USB 2 or 3?

Apologies for such basic questions, hope someone can point me in the right direction

Suggestion: no disrespect intended, Spotify is not a legitimate audio reference; use a CD or an uncompressed audio file.

I understand what you are saying, however, I use Spotify a lot and with no equaliser, sound is muffled. I have found a solution which seems to sound really good, Eqmac and this allows me to increase the treble system wide which is what I needed.

Couple of questions still @toleda as you are the audio guru

1. Is there any significant disadvantage using 3.5mm audio out on my motherboard vs USB audio. The reason I ask is that the system wide EQ I have now doesn't work if I use USB audio rather than 3.5mm. Happy to use 3.5mm unless USB provides any significant quality benefit.
2. Am I correct in thinking that the USB audio output cannot be equalised before it is output, eg. with EQ Mac utility as it is a digital signal and has to be decoded by the DAC in the speakers?

Thanks for help, appreciate these are quite basic questions

1. Is there any significant disadvantage using 3.5mm audio out on my motherboard vs USB audio.
2. Am I correct in thinking that the USB audio output cannot be equalised before it is output
1. No disadvantage, personal preference
2. Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back