Contribute
Register

Sound Interruptions - OS X Mavericks ALC898, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the trick is to stay away from the "Internal Speakers" option because MacOS doesn't understand it's running on hardware that doesn't have an internal speaker.
Not true. With 8 series motherboards, the headphone (front panel green port) pin detect is more sensitive than any previous implementation of Intel High Definition Audio. The pin senses the presence of a headphone plugged into the jack and switches audio to the headphone port from the rear panel green port. The sensitivity problem causes the codec to switch audio even when no headphone is connected, often rapidly. That functionality is part of the codec/motherboard not AppleHDA. 8 series Windows users have reported the same problem.

The Realtek ALC AppleHDA deploys the native user scenario with default audio going to Internal Speakers. When a headphone is plugged in, audio to the "Internal Speakers" is muted, the audio device label changes to "Headphones" and audio is enabled on the headphone jack. Unplugging the headphone, returns audio to the default setting. There is no difference when "Internal Speakers" is connected electrically to an internal speaker (native) or connected electrically to external speakers through the motherboard green port.

The problem with "Internal Speakers" is caused by the headphone sensitivity problem not the actual speaker. There is no known fix for the the problem. Workarounds are; use a Line Out with external speakers as discussed above or connect the external speakers to the front panel green port (force pin detect). For the advanced users, the Internal Speaker/Headphone automatic switching can be reconfigured to separate devices (an existing audio output device must be removed).

Other Mavericks AppleHDA audio problems, not related to the headphone pin detect sensitivity problem, remain unsolved as well.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. But why headphones/internal speaker detection issue is not present in 10.9.1 and 10.9.0? I rolled back to 10.9.1 from backup and everything, including audio is working fine, except Chrome audio on youtube (known issue and easy to work around).

Hi guys - been having this exact problem too on my GA-Z87X-UDH3 mobo (on recommended list). Was watching the auto-sensing going on and switching back and forth between headphones and speakers several times a second in the Audio MIDI Setup (Built-In Output). Also my coreaudiod process was going nuts always eating up between 10-25% CPU.

I fixed it by plugging headphones into the front panel, and another 1/8th" jack into the mic port. With one or the other plugged in it helped, but my coreaudiod was still taking around 5% CPU and I could still see and hear the auto-sensing switching between headphones and speaker with Built-In Output (albeit much slower - maybe once every 20-30 seconds). With both plugged in, coreaudiod is down to a stable 0.6% CPU and no static noises or auto-sensing switches at all.

Are you asking about the rapid switching problem?
No, I am talking about the absence of the audio (green) after wake. According to some folks claims - it is not gone - the audio output is switched to Headphones (front) out on wake (some times).

The problem with "Internal Speakers" is caused by the headphone sensitivity problem not the actual speaker. There is no known fix for the the problem. Workarounds are; use a Line Out with external speakers as discussed above or connect the external speakers to the front panel green port (force pin detect). For the advanced users, the Internal Speaker/Headphone automatic switching can be reconfigured to separate devices (an existing audio output device must be removed).

Thanks for the explanation, you may have seen my posts about the same issue on other threads. My only question is why the front green audio port does not work at all. I understand that the detection may be faulty, but when something is plugged into the front port, I should think it would work.

devdev001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back