Contribute
Register

Sound Interruptions - OS X Mavericks ALC898, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone:

I'm sorry for my poor English.

I have the same configuration and the same problem in my OS X Mavericks.

For your information I've got the sound "hiccups" as well on Windows 8.1 and any Linux distribution but I'm using a software work-around on those OS (just telling the driver to disable the jack detection in the front panel). I don't know how to do the same in OS X though.

If I disconnect physically the wire from the MB to the front panel the problem persists. If I use the black rear connector or the headphones connector in the front panel the the sound is perfect.

So IMO it's a hardware/firmware problem. Three different OS, same weird behaviour. I wonder if Gigabyte knows this. I just upgraded the BIOS but the problem is still here.

I've tried to disable the CPU power save modes (C1E, EIST, ...) with no success.

Ven

Anyone solve this problem? Built a hacktinosh for a friend, and she's having the same issue[FONT=arial, sans, sans-serif] on a [/FONT]GA-Z87X-UD3H with 10.9.2.

Hello, I have the same MB.

This is my experience, first of all I started out with upgrading my bios to F8m (beta bios). I installed OS X with Chameleon - when everything was done I noticed that my audio worked for 5-15 seconds then it would distort and disappear. So I tried several combinations and what worked for me was to use -f as boot flag.

Now to the interesting part, I recently moved from Chameleon to Clover and since it patches things on the fly in the kernel cache.. audio was distorted whatever I tried, so I had very little luck. I did notice that if I changed the sound format in Audio Midi Setup from 44100,0Hz back and forth the sound would return for a few seconds.

I started to experiment with DSDT and I found out that I couldn't disassemble and assemble the DSDT correctly for the F8m bios, so I tried F9a, that didn't work either, then I started to move backwards to F7 bios and finally I came to the original bios F5 that was shipped with the motherboard. Suddenly (200 reboots later), I could disassemble the DSDT and assemble it and the sound was working properly. I also noticed that my memory had dropped one (1) Mhz from the previous value 1867Mhz (F7, F8m, F9a bios) to 1866Mhz with the original F5 bios, so I am going to experiment a bit more if incorrect memory values could be the issue for bad sound.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my experience. If you are using Chameleon, try -f and if you are using Clover the F5 or any other stable bios might work for you.

Still no luck -- really bizarre -- this shouldn't be an issue. And since it is, I think the board shouldn't be on tonymac's recommended boards if it still is.

Also having the same issue. Switched to the black port and problem is gone.

I was also having a jack detection issue in Windows 8.1. I would randomly get a disconnection notice from the Realtek tray icon.

This is my solution. I don't think anyone knows the one solution that works for everyone. The very first time I installed Mavericks and selected ALC898, everything worked out perfectly. Or so I thought - the sound was choppy and would hiccup every now and then. For other reasons, I had to keep installing Mavericks. Each time ALC898 produced a different result. Either it didn't work, it worked flawlessly, or it sounded choppy. I even tried using the VT2021 driver that someone on the forums said worked for them. Strangely it worked once, and never again. It's the same with the iMessage issue. You can follow the exact steps that worked for someone else and it doesn't work for others. It seems to be that if you just keep trying things over and over, eventually something will work. The last time I installed Mavericks, ALC898 didn't work off the bat. I kept alternating between 898 and 2021 in Multi-beast and rebooting. It took 10-15 tries and eventually it stuck.

I think if someone had a knowing of why things like this happen with these hackintoshes, we could probably solve a bunch of problems all at once. I'm not saying let's stop sharing what works, but it would be nice if someone with some skills could find out once and for all :thumbup:

I'm on the same page. Same mobo, i7 4770k CPU, and having issues with the audio even while using a dedicated audio interface (Symphony I/O). The audio goes especially bonkers as soon as I try to record something in Pro Tools. Only fix currently is to restart interface, go into Audio/MIDI Setup and change the sample rate or just flat out restart everything in some cases.

I'm using a sapphire 2i2 and having the same issues. same cpu and GA-Z87X-D3H. Had any luck figuring this out? I was getting choppy audio with the realtek drivers (sometimes the audio would completely quit), so I thought switching to the usb interface would help, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

My grain of sand.

When hiccups occur, in the Audio/MIDI configuration you can see that the name of the source changes from "internal speakers" to "headphones" for half a sec. It's like the OS is mistakenly thinking you are plugging and unplugging headphones, and changing the volume adjustment accordingly (I think OS X manages different volume settings for either headphones or internal speakers). This happens randomly. It gets WAY worse after waking from sleep.

If you use one of the plugs labeled as "line output" the problem won't occur, but you may get noise in the audio after a while.

I didn't want to install Voodoo, so I'm using the "line output" workaround for now. It's a good thing that I have a 2.1 setup :p

Can you elaborate on the "noise" you get in the audio after awhile? I've switched to the black jack (it's the second "Line Out" listed in System Preferences/Sound) and it seems to work but of course I'll have to listen to iTunes for hours to be absolutely sure.

Your observation that OSX jumps back and forth between "Internal Speakers" and "headphones" tells a lot about the problem. All Macs are going to come with audio hardware that is configured to be idiot-proof, so the OS is going to have a feature where it tries to analyze what's going on with the audio and whether or not you're plugging in headphones and how it has to change automatically. So it's not necessarily a motherboard, driver, or OS problem, it's that OSX thinks it's running on a real Mac (which is good in most cases!). Maybe the next version of the Realtek Multibeast drivers could, for example, not include a definition for "internal speakers" at all? I was only using "Internal speakers" for my Hack's line out because I thought it would be the thing OSX wanted me to do, but I was wrong.

So I have a sneaking suspicion this will solve the issue, and future versions of the Realtek drivers should not try to emulate "internal speakers" at all if possible. May not be possible - is there any legit Mac without internal speakers? The concept is different on PCs, as we've all but abandoned the concept of a "PC speaker," which couldn't play audio anyway without hackery. Will continue to observe the performance on Line Out, and report back. Thanks for finding this. Was the only problem left on my otherwise golden March Buyer's Guide Hack Pro with the Z87X-UD3H.

Been running on the black audio jack (Second "Line Out") in System Preferences/Sound for four days now, not one audio glitch. This seems like the solution for the ALC898 on the Z87X-UD3H. Thanks for the info! I guess the trick is to stay away from the "Internal Speakers" option because MacOS doesn't understand it's running on hardware that doesn't have an internal speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back