i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've read through and tried many of the various fixes I could find in the search for fixing my shutdown issue with no luck.

Issue: macOS won't shutdown, reboot or shutdown attempts show panic image on boot saying OS was not cleanly shutdown/restarted.

Background: macOS El Captain was the previous OS and working like a charm, shutdown/reboot worked.

I wanted to upgrade so followed the upgrade guides: El Capitan -> Sierra upgrade went fine, reboot and shutdown didn't work so I thought let me try High Sierra. The Sierra -> High Sierra also went fine. Currently running 10.13.6 for each OS upgrade nvidia web drivers where updated. I've cloned my El Capitan master a few times to the newmacOS disk but every upgrade same result.

Clover UEFI r4862 with and without emulated NVRAM.

I've attached my config.plist. Please advise. Thank you.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 177
I've read through and tried many of the various fixes I could find in the search for fixing my shutdown issue with no luck.

Issue: macOS won't shutdown, reboot or shutdown attempts show panic image on boot saying OS was not cleanly shutdown/restarted.

Background: macOS El Captain was the previous OS and working like a charm, shutdown/reboot worked.

I wanted to upgrade so followed the upgrade guides: El Capitan -> Sierra upgrade went fine, reboot and shutdown didn't work so I thought let me try High Sierra. The Sierra -> High Sierra also went fine. Currently running 10.13.6 for each OS upgrade nvidia web drivers where updated. I've cloned my El Capitan master a few times to the newmacOS disk but every upgrade same result.

Clover UEFI r4862 with and without emulated NVRAM.

I've attached my config.plist. Please advise. Thank you.

Hello there.

One test you could try here is to rename your config.plist to something like config-elcap.plist etc and then copy the config.plist from your UniBeast installer flash drive (if you have one. If not create one).

Try booting and see what happens. True some stuff won't work, but check and see if you get the same shutdown errors :thumbup:

(Remember you can always use the Clover/Options menu to choose which config.plist to use.)

I have a driver who was posing this problem. Putting the kext in the EFI partition rather than on the system solved the problem.

This prevents the system from unloading modules and crashing at this time. We must not forget that this is not the official.

@UtterDisbelief unfortunately that did not work. My system booted fine with the unibeast created HS config.plist but would still not shutdown.

@Icare14 I also tried that, copying kexts from /L/E to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other would not shutdown with this either.

When I reboot into El Capitan or Win10, boot shutdown no problem.

I'm thinking two possible next steps
  1. make a custom USB DSDT per this guide A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT
  2. record with a high speed camera verbose mode boot and shutdown and look line by line. (sorry not well versed enough to know if these are written to a log somewhere console can look for them).

@UtterDisbelief unfortunately that did not work. My system booted fine with the unibeast created HS config.plist but would still not shutdown.

@Icare14 I also tried that, copying kexts from /L/E to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other would not shutdown with this either.

When I reboot into El Capitan or Win10, boot shutdown no problem.

I'm thinking two possible next steps
  1. make a custom USB DSDT per this guide A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT
  2. record with a high speed camera verbose mode boot and shutdown and look line by line. (sorry not well versed enough to know if these are written to a log somewhere console can look for them).

I think a custom USB SSDT is a good idea... But I would want to explore the panic you mention. Check the crash logs for any happening at the time of shutdown etc. Explore the Library/Logs/CrashReporter & DiagnosticReports folders.

Not that it is based on anything I can put my finger on but I found running an earlier version of Clover (the 47** version in MultiBeast 10.4) for HS was more reliable.

Last edited:
There was another thread that mentioned pressing F11 in the clover boot prompt will get rid of that message. Think it maybe related to nvram. I’m no longer getting that unclean shutdown error. Previously it was a splash screen at boot and a message on login the system didn’t shutdown clean.

So I finally solved this issue. It was driver issue as Icare14 had mentioned. It’s been a while since I posed on this because I walked away for a bit and continued running on El Capitan different boot disk. I came back to it today and started looking in /S/L/E and found RTL811xxx.kext. This is a realtek Ethernet driver dated 2011. It had worked even through to High Sierra except that dam shutdown bug. I removed this kext and rebooted then shutdown and boom!!! Proper shutdown. I installed the latest driver for the Z87 Atheros E2200 and I’m now up and running full time in High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back