Contribute
Register

Sony VAIO FZ - Display Issue (like all VAIO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Sony VAIO FZ21M (Enoch)
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2,5Ghz (GM965/PM965)
Graphics
Nvidia 8400M GT, 1280x800
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all!
I'm writing through OSX Lion installed into my VAIO FZ21M, but I'm using an external Wireless Adapter because my Intel 4965agn will never be recognized... :lol:

Apart from that, I was able to install Lion without any problem and I also have audio working with VoodooHDA, keyboard and touchpad with Lion PS2 kexts, even if the ALPS touchpad works bad because there's no tap-to-click e no scrolling obviously...

Also I was able to set the correct resolution (1280x800) in VESA mode into com.apple.boot.plist for Chamaleon v2.0 RC5 r1083, but NO Nvidia 8400M GT.. I've tried to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes and, with that, my screen goes black and if I connect my laptop via HDMI to my HDTV, neither of the screens works... BTW Lion seems to work properly even if the screen is off, because I'm able to shutdown my Vaio!

I've also tried lots of different ways to have display & graphics working, such as Nvidia ROM file injection, EFI string injection, or trying with NVenabler, NVinject, etc. But no one seems to be ok.

Still no solution up there for this silly VAIO issue??? :cry:

I'm not a DSDT addict... I've tried to use DSDTSE app, but when compiling it gave me a lot of errors and I'm not able to do anything to solve, even though I don't think our display problem is DSDT-related...

Hoping for some help.. Thanks!!! :banghead:

Nothing here??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi there

i have a sony vaio AR520E
if you want to have full graphics you have to have an external monitor.....
it just wont work on an internal monitor.... :cry:

for me it's fine... i use mine as a desktop with keyboard mouse and 24" monitor.

Some people also exchange there built in wificard. I read somewhere that the original apple wificard should work. But I suppose you would kill your Wifi under Windows. I also work with a wifi-dongle.

To the internal display topic: I must admit I did not get much futher, i am still working with an external monitor if I need graphic accelleration. Even injecting the EDID I extracted under Windows fails. No clue where to search next...

(my specs: viewtopic.php?f=170&t=29397)

Yes, it's possibile! But I'm not a developer, like you... So I don't know where to start from... :? Let's see if someone @ insanelymac have an idea.
By the way, your is a very good theory!

Sony uses some custom hardware on the Vaios internal screen. For example you can't read the EDID in the windows registry because there simply is none. At least in my Vaio CS3 registry you can't find any EDID values. Extracting the EDID directly from the hardware works. But I injectet it into the OS X using various methods and none worked. It only gave me a blank screen (while correctly booting the osx) and only the external monitor works. Just like with any ordinary injector.
I don't think its an pci-issue since the external monitor function works fine. The internal only in VESA mode. So I suppose the problem to be between the graphics card and the internal display. Probably the display controller. I read somewhere that the linuxusers who are experiencing simular issues are thinking this might be due to a custom display controller Sony uses.
Little background info: in the past you could not update the VAIOs with the universal nvidia/ati graphic drivers handed out by nvidia/ati. You always had to wait until sony releases an update (6 months later or so, quite a pain for gamers.) Since some time (dunno when) this has changed, probably because nvidia/ati support the display controller used in Sonys Vaios now. But due to there are no native osx distributions for VAIOs these may not be included in the mac distribution of driver updates.
At least thats how I see the problem.

On the same boat here. Sony display really sucks.
After many hours I was able to get my EDID, but nothing.
I think the last version that supports VESA is 10.7.4

It is EDID injection. Can also be done in Clover config.plist.
For Somereason clover EDID injection does not work. I could edit DSDT and inject EDID based on the info from the above link and it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back