Contribute
Register

someone using iMac 15,1 for 4790k + Z97X + Nvidia Graphic Card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 740
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hey there ! i am running my hack on MacPro3,1 . since i have a 4790k inside my hack i thought i should choose the nearest build to it . for me its iMac15,1 cuz its the same cpu . but when i reboot the screens stays black . is there something more to da or am i just wrong with my iMac15,1 theory ?

greets

I have Z97X, i7-4790K and GTX 750 Ti, and it works well on Mac Pro 3,1. Do you think changing the "type cloaking" (I forget what it's called) should make a difference in performance?

Try iMac 14,2 which is recommended if you are using graphics card or graphics card and Intel on chip graphics. If using Intel on chip graphics only, use iMac 14,1.

As you can see on the left, I have pretty similar to you and this works.

Hey guys, check my post here.. #91, with your setup, iMac15,1 will work much better then iMac14,2, but you just need to generate proper SSDT.. I have explained everything in that post. Good luck !

If you have a Z97x and a i7-4790K then you'll want to use iMac 15,1 for better CPU power management.
However you'll get a black screen when you first try to boot with it.
So follow these brief instructions to get you started and don't reboot until I say so.
Also this will break you iMessage and Facetime so you'll need to fix those again after all is said and done.

Follow this quick guide: (Thanks to vinnethp for these instructions, full guide link listed below.)

Log out of iCloud by going to System Preferences/iCloud and "Sign Out".

Using Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition, and open your config.plist in Clover Configurator.
The config.plist file is in EFI\EFI\CLOVER folder.
Go to RT Variables and change ROM to UseMacAddr0, BooterConfig to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x67.
Go to SMBIOS and select the magic wand button then choose the iMac icon and change to iMac 15,1 and press the "Shake" buttons a few times each and click OK.
Copy your new serial number go to the webpage https://checkcoverage.apple.com.
Paste the serial # into the "Enter your hardware serial number" box. If you get the "We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again.", you're good to move on to the next step.
(I know this sounds stupid but it means that nobody else has registered a device with that serial number yet. Which is good.)
Open terminal and type "uuidgen" to generate the system SMUUID and press Enter/Return button. Do this several times to generate random UUID's. Copy the generated UUID and paste it into the SMUUID field of Clover Configurator.
In Clover Configurator, Click on File then Save and quit Clover Configurator.

(To not get a black screen when booting with iMac 15,1)
Download the Lilu.kext and the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and copy them to your EFI\EFI\CLOVER\Kexts\Other folder.
(Thanks to vit9696 for the kext patches.)

REBOOT

After you've rebooted check "About this Mac" and you should see "Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)".
Hooray!!! You're now on iMac 15,1 system definition.

Next go to this guide and finish configuring your SMBIOS using vinnethp's instructions.
Pick up after the "Copy the generated UUID into the SMUUID field of the Clover Configurator."

Then go to this guide and follow the instructions to create a new SSDT.aml for your new current SMBIOS settings.

Finally go to https://www.icloud.com/# and login with your Apple ID and go to "Settings" and remove any devices that you don't use. Remove any computer's you don't use by checking the serial #'s and keep the device that has the new serial #.
(If you own iPhones and other genuine or hackintosh Mac's that use the same Apple ID, don't remove those).
Do the samething by going to https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin.

HERE'S THE RUB!!!!
If you use iMessage and Facetime, the above changes to your system will break those apps.
Follow the fix guides on this site to get those straightened out. I don't own an iPhone, so I don't use those apps.

I would also suggest you go into Clover Configurator, load your config.plist and take a screenshot of RT Variables and SMBIOS and save them in a safe place like iCloud or Google Drive, MS OneCloud because you'll need to re-enter all this information if you upgrade to the next OSX version beyond Sierra.

Good Luck

Last edited:
If you have a Z97x and a i7-4790K then you'll want to use iMac 15,1 for better CPU power management.
However you'll get a black screen when you first try to boot with it.
So follow these brief instructions to get you started and don't reboot until I say so.
Also this will break you iMessage and Facetime so you'll need to fix those again after all is said and done.

Follow this quick guide: (Thanks to vinnethp for these instructions, full guide link listed below.)

Log out of iCloud by going to System Preferences/iCloud and "Sign Out".

Using Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition, and open your config.plist in Clover Configurator.
The config.plist file is in EFI\EFI\CLOVER folder.
Go to RT Variables and change ROM to UseMacAddr0, BooterConfig to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x67.
Go to SMBIOS and select the magic wand button then choose the iMac icon and change to iMac 15,1 and press the "Shake" buttons a few times each and click OK.
Copy your new serial number go to the webpage https://checkcoverage.apple.com.
Paste the serial # into the "Enter your hardware serial number" box. If you get the "We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again.", you're good to move on to the next step.
(I know this sounds stupid but it means that nobody else has registered a device with that serial number yet. Which is good.)
Open terminal and type "uuidgen" to generate the system SMUUID and press Enter/Return button. Do this several times to generate random UUID's. Copy the generated UUID and paste it into the SMUUID field of Clover Configurator.
In Clover Configurator, Click on File then Save and quit Clover Configurator.

(To not get a black screen when booting with iMac 15,1)
Next go to this page and download the script file, "fixit.sh", open Terminal run the script file following the instructions.
(Thanks to MacOrDie for the script file)
Quit Terminal.

REBOOT

After you've rebooted check "About this Mac" and you should see "Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)".
Hooray!!! You're now on iMac 15,1 system definition.

Next go to this guide and finish configuring your SMBIOS using vinnethp's instructions.
Pick up after the "Copy the generated UUID into the SMUUID field of the Clover Configurator."

Then go to this guide and follow the instructions to create a new SSDT.aml for your new current SMBIOS settings.

Finally go to https://www.icloud.com/# and login with your Apple ID and go to "Settings" and remove any devices that you don't use. Remove any computer's you don't use by checking the serial #'s and keep the device that has the new serial #.
(If you own iPhones and other genuine or hackintosh Mac's that use the same Apple ID, don't remove those).
Do the samething by going to https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin.

HERE'S THE RUB!!!!
If you use iMessage and Facetime, the above changes to your system will break those apps.
Follow the fix guides on this site to get those straightened out. I don't own an iPhone, so I don't use those apps.
Now whenever you take a new OSX update, you'll break the script and when your system reboots, you'll get the black screen.
So my suggestion for that is this, and I know it's a pain in the a$$, but if you want to use iMac 15,1 then this is what you got to do.
First go into Clover Configurator, load your config.plist and take a screenshot of RT Variables and SMBIOS and save them in a safe place like iCloud or Google Drive, MS OneCloud because you'll need to re-enter all this information if you want to upgrade.
Log out of iCloud first.
Next change your SMBIOS back to iMac 14,2 using Clover Configurator, save and reboot.
Then do the OSX update, and once everything is all up and running, open Clover Configurator, load your config.plist and change back to iMac 15,1 and re-enter all the serial information from the screenshots, save and quit Clover Configurator, but don't reboot yet.
Next re-run the fixit.sh script.
REBOOT
After you reboot, generate a new SSDT using the above guide.
Log back in to iCloud and go to the websites also to make sure there are no unwanted Mac's in your account.
Check to see if iMessage and Facetime still work, if you care about having those.

Good Luck

Better to use iMac 14,2 for your hardware. iMac 15,1 is known to cause black screens. i.e AGPM.

Better to use iMac 14,2 for your hardware. iMac 15,1 is known to cause black screens. i.e AGPM.

Hi VioletDragon,

Actually for my hardware and yours also, iMac 15,1 provides better CPU Power Management because iMac 15,1's use the i7-4790k CPU's.
The black screens you mention were happening on initial boot right after changing to the iMac 15,1 system definition.
This is because the iMac15/17s apply a special EDID for their 5K displays.
But on this page, shilohh has several methods to patch the black screen issues.
In fact today, 3/1/17, shilohh just edited the OP on that page and indicated a new method by user vit9696 to download and apply Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to the EFI\EFI\CLOVER\Kexts\Other folder.
These new kexts are supposed to stay in place even after applying OSX updates.
I've just edited my post to reflect the new method.

Last edited:
Hi VioletDragon,

Actually for my hardware and yours also, iMac 15,1 provides better CPU Power Management because iMac 15,1's use the i7-4790k CPU's.
The black screens you mention were happening on initial boot right after changing to the iMac 15,1 system definition.
This is because the iMac15/17s apply a special EDID for their 5K displays.
But on this page, shilohh has several methods to patch the black screen issues.
In fact today, 3/1/17, shilohh just edited the OP on that page and indicated a new method by user vit9696 to download and apply Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to the EFI\EFI\CLOVER\Kexts\Other folder.
These new kexts are supposed to stay in place even after applying OSX updates.

Using iMac 15,1 wouldn't make much difference. I don't have any problems with Powermanagement. You should check ioreg and look to wether X86PlatformPlugin is loaded and also AppleLPC. AppleLPC is important without it PM will not work correctly.

Use iMac14,3 iMac14,2 with SSDTPrGen made SSDT and dropping OEM CpuPM-related SSDTs. iMac power management is no use for hacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back