Contribute
Register

Someone thinks this video is worth watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
asus z390 a prime
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
rtx 2070

A have RTX 2070 super
i7 9700k
Asus z390 a prime

Somone think I have to ty this video?

A have RTX 2070 super
i7 9700k
Asus z390 a prime

It's interesting but pointless. If you try it let us know how you get on :thumbup:

Be careful though. If it was this easy it would be standard practice and there would only ever be the need for one Nvidia web-driver package. Why did Nvidia keep recompiling their drivers? There are basic hardware API differences since High Sierra that are not being addressed by Nvidia, and won't be.

Also consider that spoofing an older version of a Mac, as this video shows, might just confuse all your software and updates.

Did you also notice that when the video showed installing for the second time, the driver still displayed the "not compatible" error? The driver installer was just being tricked, it doesn't mean it will work.

I would not risk my system stability or performance, but if you want to, nothing is set in stone.

I liked the music though ...

Last edited:

@amitfgggds,

Do not waste your time with this video or any other online tutorial that claims to get the Nvidia WEB drivers working with unsupported Nvidia GPU's on MacOS Mojave, Catalina or BugSur, there is no magic bullet and anyone who claims otherwise is a fraud.

The bottom line is this ...

1. As of MacOS Mojave Apple have migrated to using their own Metal 2 Graphics API as the primary means of GPU acceleration in MacOS and have depreciated the ancient version of OpenGL that it has used in the past. No version of the Nvidia Web drivers have ever or will ever support Apples Metal 2 API. Nvidia have officially and publicly announced that they will not support MacOS beyond High Sierra. Therefore even if you get the Nvidia Web Drivers installed by spoofing the MacOS version as High Sierra (as this video shows) you will still not have Metal 2 compatible drivers installed and as a result no acceleration of the MacOS GUI or any app that uses the Metal 2 API.

2. The video claims that the method also works for 2000 and 3000 Nvidia series GPU's ... this is complete and utter BS. Nvidia have never updated their MacOS web drivers to support any RTX/Turing based GPU.

3. All your going to do by following such false claims is screw up your MacOS install, anyone who has an unsupported Nvidia GPU will get much better GPU performance by using the CPU's IGPU rather than using a botched Nvidia driver install with an unsupported Nvidia GPU.

4. If your serious about running MacOS on non-Apple hardware and need more GPU power than the IGPU can supply then update to a AMD based GPU (EG: RX 580, Vega 56 / 64, RX 5700 ... etc).

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that still think its possible to use an unsupported Nvidia GPU in MacOS Mojave and beyond as all of the above information has been common knowledge for a few years now.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Of course it won't work. The author even admits there's no hardware acceleration in the comments section. People are thanking him but not understanding - which makes me sad. Why don't they just come here?

I don't see it as much in the way of fraud though - unless it is to disillusion potential hackintoshers by giving them headaches and disappointment, sending them back to Windows. :lol:

The video does look quite professional and will fool many. But is it intentional? Perhaps the OP really believes they are helping.

The other videos are just as wild.

But I still like the music ...

Last edited:
I don't see it as much in the way of fraud though - unless it is to disillusion potential hackintoshers by giving them headaches and disappointment, sending them back to Windows.

@UtterDisbelief,

I was going to end that sentence with :-

there is no magic bullet and anyone who claims otherwise is a liar

But thought it a little strong so changed it to "fraud".

What rattles me is that there are many novice users out there that don't read our (or other) guides fully and digest the information or do their homework properly ... many are looking for a quick fix and video's like this give false hope to those people which lead them down a path that ultimately goes nowhere except for the potential of screwing up a working macOS install.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back