Contribute
Register

Some total noob questions about system tweaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 PRO
CPU
Graphics
GTX580
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Forgive me if these are stupid questions but I thought I'd ask you guys who are way smarter about this stuff before plowing headlong into modifying my system and get results I can't repair.

NOTE: Lion 10.7.3 loaded is seems to run stably at the desktop level so far. However, applications (specifically FCP) try to initialize but will not run yet :thumbdown:

Here's the system I'm running and trying to tune:
Asus P9X79-pro
i7 3930k

1) After running MULTBEAST once (which I have done), is it okay to just run it again to make changes or modifications?

If YES, say you loaded an incorrect configuration for the ethernet protocol, do you just select another one and update? What happens to the old kext from the previous ethernet config attempt?

2) Say I manually copy (cp) my kexts directly into the system folder that they reside in. With a simple restart, does OSX see the files and utilize them or is there something I need to do to get them recognized?

Also, do I need to remove kexts that are no longer relevant or will OSX simply ignore them if they don't function correctly for whatever reason?

If I do need to delete the old ones, is there a list of standard system kext and there functions? (I wouldn't want to just guess and delete the wrong one).

3) My plan is to get the system as stable as possible, and then make an image backup of the entire OS/apps so I can simply restore it should anything arise. Is this a good plan?

Your guidance(s) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
jgbsound (John)

1) Kexts are installed into System/library/Extensions. Once installed and you think you installed the wrong one, go in there and delete it. (multibeast has description each option and kexts relating to that selection). Installing on top = overwrite or installing new KEXTS, removal requires manual process described above.

2) You should use KEXTBEAST to install kexts. Always run system utilities to rebuild cache and repair permission after installing new KEXTS. (Kext Utilities, Kext wizard or System Utilities inside Multibeast)

3) Yes, it is highly recommended making a backup of good running copy to another backup drive using SUPERDUPER or CARBON COPY CLONER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back