Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dear All,

I am new to the hackintosh community, however have had experience with building computers in the past. In 10 days I will start to build my first hackintosh.

Currently my set up is a bit outdated, since i have built it about 4 years ago, including an AMD processor, an Asus motherboard, 4GB of ram and a Sapphire Radeon 4850.

I am looking to update most of the parts, and I am looking to build a monster machine since I do a lot of video editing which requires speed. We all hate the little death wheel :beachball:, while we are editing.

I was looking to invest into the following:

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MotherboardXFX
AMD Radeon HD6870 Graphics Card PCI-e 2 GB GDDR5 Memory 2x DVI HDMI)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXLCorsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)

I was also considering getting two AMD Radeon 6870's if this would do any good.

All help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at running OSX 10.8.3

Kind Regards,
Pash

I'd advise going with nVidia CPUs over the Radeon 6870. The 6870 isn't a bad card, it's just a bit of a PITA to set up in Mountain Lion (requires some hacking to avoid a white screen and to fully enable multiple monitors) and comparing mine to systems I've built with comparable nVidia cards, I prefer nVidia for both ease of setup and overall performance.

I don't know what benefit multiple 6870 cards would provide- and setup would possibly be that much more complicated.

I'd recommend consider a GTX 660 (and TI versions) 670 or 680.

Also consider SSD drives both for booting the OS and as video render scratch.

I'd advise going with nVidia CPUs over the Radeon 6870. The 6870 isn't a bad card, it's just a bit of a PITA to set up in Mountain Lion (requires some hacking to avoid a white screen and to fully enable multiple monitors) and comparing mine to systems I've built with comparable nVidia cards, I prefer nVidia for both ease of setup and overall performance.

I don't know what benefit multiple 6870 cards would provide- and setup would possibly be that much more complicated.

I'd recommend consider a GTX 660 (and TI versions) 670 or 680.

Also consider SSD drives both for booting the OS and as video render scratch.

Thanks for your reply. The difficulty of the set up isnt such a big hassle in my view, but it seems to me that it just generally a bit of a better card for the price you pay. Nvidia's cards are around 400GBP, when the 6870 is around 150GBP? So I would generally prefer the 6870.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back