Motherboard
Dell E6230
CPU
i7 3GHz i7
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Ok, so trying my luck on this laptop. Its an Asus model K55a.
So swap a new drive so I don’t worry about messing the win one.
Unibeast USB install for apple store ML 10.8.2 goes without an issue.
Boot to USB and then go to desktop no issue. Installing bootloader and such from multibeast to disk gives me logo only apple screen without the spin wheel. The reason I think is cause the bios doesn’t see the hard disk to boot from. I don’t see in the boot option. It does see it in the SATA configuration. See pic. Can someone explain how it can see the Win drive and not the one I installed? I’m thinking has to do with partition scheme?.. Partion is not on the hard disk? or is bios only interested in MBR scheme? Im confused. BTW once I put in the USB stick it sees it right away, and boots from it without me selecting anything. Perhaps its cause when created I used MBR as per guide. Laptop has this aptio ami bios UEFI
Core spec is ivy bridge i5 3210m with 4000HD graphics.

Questions:
Does anyone know how to make this bios see the new disk.. see attached pics, it may allow me to add a boot file?? Don’t know how to make it see location of the bootloader.

If no can do , I’m fine booting from usb then to desktop. Is there a way I can install kext to get things to work and possibly enable the HD4000 graphics? Doesn’t recognize it now.

Can I install a working ML on the USB and have a dual boot with Win8 by putting back the hard disk?

thanks for any help or suggestions, and sorry if questions are dumb. Im not an expert in this but exciting to learn.

Attachments

• 100_0355.JPG
    100_0355.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_0357.JPG
    100_0357.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_0363.JPG
    100_0363.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 289
I'm having the same problem. I updated the latest bios for the machine, but still no luck. I wasn't able to install without using GUID. MBR partition did not allow me to install 10.8, only a GUID partiton would work.

Did you solve the prob. or did you give up.
Appreciate any help!

Guys. Use Clover and try building the UEFI only USB key first to boot. Then, once you are successful, you can install on your hard drive.

Asus has issues recognizing Mac OS partition (I experienced this same thing), and you have to edit the NVRAM even under Clover to boot. If you are going GPT and all UEFI (e.g., Win. 8), I'd go this way.

YMMV--some people have had great success. Others? Not so much.

http://www.osx86.net/guides-tutorials/19291-guide-clover-efi-bootloader.html

I should probably also say you shouldn't ask any questions here about it as it's against the forum rules. I'm not even sure I should even mention it, but I understand how difficult it was to run into stuff like this and having no clue, so just trying to help...

Hey carl, I too have the asus k55a but I have not had as much luck as you with installing Mountain Lion. I installed Snow Leopard without fail and even updated it to 10.6.8 easily but every time I try to boot into the ML installer I get errors. Did you you any kernel flags to get into the installer? I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back