Contribute
Register

some old guy's G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ... Had no idea it would come out this good. Just got it dual booting with Win7 via Chameleon and can't believe how smooth both OS's run. Gotta thank Tonymac and all those who've posted their G5 builds .

I have enjoyed your documentation of the project. I really appreciate the craftsmanship and the clean design.

neil

Very nice and clean build *bows*

How is the noise and temperatures, if I may ask??

neilhart said:
I have enjoyed your documentation of the project. I really appreciate the craftsmanship and the clean design.

neil
shibirian said:
Very nice and clean build *bows*

How is the noise and temperatures, if I may ask??

Many thanks ... figured if I was going to cut up a G5 I'd better do it right ... noise isn't bad , I used Gelid silent fans for the HD , and front/rear fans and either rubber isolated or mounted them in a way to minimize vibration and they're real quiet , most of the noise seems to be coming from the psu ( a Corsair 650w modular).At any rate , it's not objectionable at the least , no wind tunnel or jet engine effect . Rear case and cpu fan never seem to turn over 2000rpm in iStat .So far I've not seen a cpu temp over 60C , that was while transferring 200+gig of files from an external drive while simultaneously watching a 720 video on YouTube. There's a lot of airflow and seeing I'm not overclocking I don't anticipate any problems . I probably could have done without the HD and front fans .

Wow what an amazing job! Looks great, and I love the custom made aluminum cover for the floor and front area of the case. You sir are a very skilled modder. Those m-atx boards really work well for these G5 builds.

Thanks.... The psu cover almost worked out well . Looks great , but , if you're clumsy like I am , stuff can ( and will , and has) fall into the grille and then into the psu , necessitating removal of the cover and psu to get the offending item out . The fix was to put a piece of window screening over the top of the psu so stuff wouldn't fall in. I'd thought about this happening when I was planning out the cover . Was going to graft in a piece of perforated aluminum into the psu cover top , making it look sorta like the front and back of the case . Only problem is that I couldn't get enough holes in the top to achieve the unrestricted airflow I wanted . So I went with the big hole and grille .

Having just seen this, this has been my Idea for the back of my case, however I'm not willing to shell out on another damaged case (my original idea) but found sheets of 3mm holed Aluminium on ebay for £2 a sheet so got a couple of those.

Can I asked what spray paint you used to match the colour?

Thanks

very nice build! very clean and unique

tom.humphrey said:
Having just seen this, this has been my Idea for the back of my case, however I'm not willing to shell out on another damaged case (my original idea) but found sheets of 3mm holed Aluminium on ebay for £2 a sheet so got a couple of those.

Can I asked what spray paint you used to match the colour?

Thanks

Here's the stuff I used , Got it in a local AutoZone . Its not an exact match , but if you carefully mask off the back up to the seams that are underneath the handles , you can get away with it as the seams are in the back and in a shadow area and aren't that visible.
2paints.jpg

Don't know how much good this will do you as you're in the UK and the silver is a US color . The primer works real well on Aluminum , just let it cure for a couple of days before topcoating . I used it for all the internal parts . The outside of the case was primed with a 2 part epoxy from PPG that I had mixed up to spray some body parts for a car I'm restoring . It's pretty nasty,toxic stuff . Only reason I used it was I has a bit left in the gun . You need a good gun and compressor plus a real good carbon canister respirator plus ventilation . Stick with the spray can stuff for primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back