4. iBook
  5. iMac
  6. Plus
  7. PowerBook
  8. SE
  9. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear folk of the tonymac forum- like so many others I am doing a G5 build.
I want this machine to be pretty functional and fast but no gaming, no overclocking, maybe a little bit of light video editing.
reasonably quiet is desirable too

I have used mostly parts from the buyer's guide :
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite board
i5 9600 processor
Corsair CX550m PSU
Crucial Ballistix RAM 16GB
Samsung SSD
Sapphire RX 580 4G

I have got it to the current state of build shown (memory and graphics card still on their way)
But I have a few specific questions I was wondering if anyone could help with:

1. which back fan should I get (considering cooling and quietness)?
2. do I need any other fans?
3. is there anything wrong with this Intel CPU cooler? should I be getting something else?
4. will it work without doing the front panel cable mod? what are the pros and cons?

Thanks !

poggor

IMG_9986.jpg
IMG_9987.jpg

Hi poggor,

I like Noctura fans, they can be pretty quiet and efficient, though I see your back panel has been modded so I’m unsure of the size.

Yes you will definitely need more fans. I have two fans mounted inside the original G5 plastic fan mounts in the front pulling air in, the PCI slots will get very hot otherwise.

I do t think there’s anything wrong with the Intel cooler, it’s quiet, efficient and does the job.

yes, it will work without the front panel cable, but how are you planning on turning it on?. It might get annoying having to negotiate a screwdriver through computer bits to contact the power pins. And not to mention risky, too!.

@craighazan, thanks for those answers. I'll get those fans and do the cable mod. Much appreciated!

poggor

thanks a lot for those replies
I have ordered two of those 120mm noctura fans. I'll see how it goes? can i use a utility to monitor system temp?
regarding the cooling- I know there are all sorts of "cool" coolers even water coolers but do i really need them if I'm not overclocking?
I'm going to fix the front panel myself- wish me luck!

poggor

thanks ramon- i'll keep you posted. it's all pretty new to me

thanks ramon- i'll keep you posted. it's all pretty new to me

Good responses from Ramon and Charlee78, seasoned case modders, who have helped me out and offered advice on a couple of my projects. Just take your time and don't rush anything and you'll get a machine to be proud of.

thanks everyone! when I have got this one up and running I will move on to tackle my 17in G4 iMac...

Probably the best advice in general, I‘d add „think twice or three times“ to that.
And do ALOT of research here to find what has been done that you like or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back