Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just a few questions I have after my install. I have to send the machine back due to a hardware issue (screen connection seems to be loose, so testing like crazy tonight all other things)

-Just had my first freeze. As I have to send this laptop back I am now in doubt if I should just get my money back or have it returned. Freezes make me nervous, I want a stable machine. I have the 4530s - i3, Hd3000 only, 320GB and default 4GB. Found some threads here on freezes but can't see any causes or fixes. Some seem to have them others don't. What is the general status on the freezes? fixable?

-My WiFi was called ethernet. As suggested I removed it, re added wifi which is now called wifi but if I then add another connection for ethernet I see no ethernet, just vpn, ppoe and 6 to 4. How do I get ethernet? (EDIT: I think it is called bluetooth pan! saw system info and bluetooth pan uses ethernet. after deleting that one still can't add ethernet though)

-Just a check: If I select DRAGGING then mouse acts all funny

-Sometimes after sleep the speaker will sound like a machine gun, repeating a single sound. It stops if I press space. Is this known?

-I will eventually want a mouse. I read bluetooth magic mouse is sometimes lost, also usb mouse sometimes doesn't appear to work in some threads. Any consensus on what to buy for an external mouse?

-As I have only limited time till shipping back tomorrow: how does the machine hold up if kept in sleep for several days? will battery stay ok or drain fast?

thanks all!

-Just had my first freeze. As I have to send this laptop back I am now in doubt if I should just get my money back or have it returned. Freezes make me nervous, I want a stable machine. I have the 4530s - i3, Hd3000 only, 320GB and default 4GB. Found some threads here on freezes but can't see any causes or fixes. Some seem to have them others don't. What is the general status on the freezes? fixable?

Try out this: viewtopic.php?p=323998#p323998 I personally have had two ever.

-My WiFi was called ethernet. As suggested I removed it, re added wifi which is now called wifi but if I then add another connection for ethernet I see no ethernet, just vpn, ppoe and 6 to 4. How do I get ethernet? (EDIT: I think it is called bluetooth pan! saw system info and bluetooth pan uses ethernet. after deleting that one still can't add ethernet though)

Ethernet = wifi and wifi = ethernet

to get ethernet you have to install it from the installer.

-Just a check: If I select DRAGGING then mouse acts all funny

correct

-Sometimes after sleep the speaker will sound like a machine gun, repeating a single sound. It stops if I press space. Is this known?

never heard of that

-I will eventually want a mouse. I read bluetooth magic mouse is sometimes lost, also usb mouse sometimes doesn't appear to work in some threads. Any consensus on what to buy for an external mouse?

external, or get a new bluetooth dongle and disable the internal one

-As I have only limited time till shipping back tomorrow: how does the machine hold up if kept in sleep for several days? will battery stay ok or drain fast?

seems to be good to me.

Wow that is fast! Link you sent is for glitches, my system fully froze, nothing responded and had to force shutdown with button. Is that the same issue?

Just installed Ethernet. Sensecheck, when following lion I didnt select it, guide says only to select:
-OS X version you are installing
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS
-i5 or i7 CPU if you have them
Should Ethernet be added there as a suggestion?

glengoyne17 said:
Wow that is fast! Link you sent is for glitches, my system fully froze, nothing responded and had to force shutdown with button. Is that the same issue?

Just installed Ethernet. Sensecheck, when following lion I didnt select it, guide says only to select:
-OS X version you are installing
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS
-i5 or i7 CPU if you have them
Should Ethernet be added there as a suggestion?

Lol that link contains a fix, that's pure coincidence.

Yeah I'll add ethernet, thanks.

Thanks again. Not sure I follow you on the patch/link. Will installing smcpingdeamon help against freezes or am I completely missing the point? :D

Thanks, will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back