Contribute
Register

Some confirmation please (new install and time machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all.

I plan to format my SSD and start over with 10.9 final.

I just need some confirmation on time machine.

I use it to back everything up, nut I'm guilty of just using it for the sake of it, I've never restored..

When installing a new version of OSX, do I need to do some sort of transfer during install, like a menu in this guide?
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-perform-a-perfect-backup-reinstall-with-apple-time-machine/

My other concern is that my backup is on a network drive, will I have network functionality at that stage of the install?

What my goal is, is to have all my apps back (I think Ill have to set some up again, enter auth codes etc) but also keep my settings, i.e. safari bookmarks etc..

Thanks

Hi all.

I plan to format my SSD and start over with 10.9 final.

I just need some confirmation on time machine.

I use it to back everything up, nut I'm guilty of just using it for the sake of it, I've never restored..

When installing a new version of OSX, do I need to do some sort of transfer during install, like a menu in this guide?
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-perform-a-perfect-backup-reinstall-with-apple-time-machine/

My other concern is that my backup is on a network drive, will I have network functionality at that stage of the install?

What my goal is, is to have all my apps back (I think Ill have to set some up again, enter auth codes etc) but also keep my settings, i.e. safari bookmarks etc..

Thanks

If your Unibeast USB has the drivers you need for network, then you will have network access (assuming you have the cable plugged in, etc.).

I've never tried the "restore from TM backup" during install, but I suppose there is nothing to lose on a fresh install in trying it.

I'm pretty sure the wired network works OTTB on the pro book 4530s?

Technically no. It works with lnx2mac or Mieze realtek driver. If you use Unibeast to create your USB, then you get lnx2mac in /E/E which is what makes it work.

Technically no. It works with lnx2mac or Mieze realtek driver. If you use Unibeast to create your USB, then you get lnx2mac in /E/E which is what makes it work.

ah ok.. so for this purpose, I'll at least have a connection to my network for trying to use the time machine backup during unibeast install.

too late to start now, I'm off work tomorrow, think I'll give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back