Contribute
Register

Some Broadcom Mini-PCIe WIFI Devices Unsupported in macOS Sierra

Note for users with older mini PCIe wifi cards such as the 2006 MacBook BCM94321MC: there is no native support in macOS Sierra for your devices. AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext has been omitted from IO80211Family.kext Plugins in macOS Sierra.

Below is a list of all devices that have been excluded from macOS Sierra:

Broadcom Device IDs
pci106b,4e
pci14e4,4311
pci14e4,4312
pci14e4,4313
pci14e4,4318
pci14e4,4319
pci14e4,431a
pci14e4,4320
pci14e4,4324
pci14e4,4325
pci14e4,4328
pci14e4,432c
pci14e4,432d

As of this posting there is no solution- this kext will not load in macOS Sierra.
i have a bcm943228z broadcom wifi card already fitted in my hp laptop but it is not working in mac os sierra.
can anyone help me to use this wifi card in mac os sierra?

I am doubly blessed. I use a Lenovo x230 that has a locked-down whitelisting BIOS, which only allows for very few PCIe cards. I have found an Broadcom 4311 which - by sheer magic - was accepted by the BIOS. But unfortunately, it seems that the support for said BCM 4311 was removed at some time. I run High Sierra on my Lenovo - is there any way to make that BCM 4311 work under MacOS 10.13 ??

I am doubly blessed. I use a Lenovo x230 that has a locked-down whitelisting BIOS, which only allows for very few PCIe cards. I have found an Broadcom 4311 which - by sheer magic - was accepted by the BIOS. But unfortunately, it seems that the support for said BCM 4311 was removed at some time. I run High Sierra on my Lenovo - is there any way to make that BCM 4311 work under MacOS 10.13 ??

Edit: Find the old 80211kext from Sierra or El Capitan and check the plugins section for the missing support kext. you can add it to the newer HS 80211Familykext. This has been with the Atheros40kext.

Last edited:

Try this: Watch the video and follow the directions. Be sure to make a spare kext to replace the original if it doesn't work.

Attachments

• 4311 kext fix.zip
    80.5 MB · Views: 227
Try this: Watch the video and follow the directions. Be sure to make a spare kext to replace the original if it doesn't work.
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Edit: I'm on High Sierra, your video shows Mojave ...

Followed the video.
Copied the kext to a folder, copied the kext from your archive to the desktop, ran the kext installer, rebooted - no success.
See attached Kext_Backup.zip
Thank you

Attachments

• Kext_Backup.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Edit: I'm on High Sierra, your video shows Mojave ...

Followed the video.
Copied the kext to a folder, copied the kext from your archive to the desktop, ran the kext installer, rebooted - no success.
See attached Kext_Backup.zip
Thank you

Try this. Same method with kextbeast.

Attachments

• Kext_Backup:w 4311.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 189
Try this. Same method with kextbeast.
No luck.
The PCIe card should be working as I have Bluetooth.
But System Report doesn't show the WiFi and the Network App in System Preferences also doesn't show an active WiFi Interface.
How can I check if the kext was properly loaded?

Back