Contribute
Register

Some basic questions (answers not found!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 4530s
CPU
Core i3 2310M
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Hi guys. I've been wondering about a couple of things. I've searched in the forums but couldn't find a solution. Sorry if these questions have been asked before. Here we go.

1. I'm going to buy a ProBook 4530s. How do I know if the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card is an Atheros? How to determing the make/model of the card?

2. If I get a ProBook with an unsupported card, can I use one of those USB Wi-Fi receivers? Which one would be compatible with OS X, any ideas?

Don't know about 1..

But in case unsupported, just replace the bad one with an Atheros one.. you can buy them from HP. There is a thread about that.

You can check the System Hardware in the BIOS before purchase a 4530s; usually, from my knowledge, the Atheros card should have the codename AR in both wifi and bluetooth sections.
It is much easier for you to have an Atheros rather than buying an external wifi receiver.

Is it in the BIOS? Can you please tell me where to look for its name?

Also, how can I avoid getting a unit with a 4K hard drive?

Of course, I can check before I buy, that's why I'm asking how to check that the wifi module and the hard drive are the compatible ones?

If it has a 4K HD you can just edit a few simple things to get it working with Chameleon.

1. more than likely you're not going to get a atheros card if you are buying new. seems like HP stopped using them and switched to realtek. but you can get an atheros card from ebay for like 15 bucks.

2. you can try this

As long as we are talking USB dongles, let me recommend this one, from Edimax: http://www.meritline.com/edimax-ew7811u ... 64568.aspx. It is tiny, yet does Wireless-N at 150mbps. It has better range than my built in Intel wifi. It has MacOSX drivers available on the Edimax web site.

3. you can't avoid 4k disk drives anymore. but the fix is simple.

Thanks for the reply !

the atheros card from China just arrived and I installed it in less than 10 mins. Very easy fix.

So I just talked to a retailer and I'm assured that I'll get my 4530s with an Atheros card. However, just for the sake of rechecking, I might have to get my question answered :p
(sorry to bug you all with this silly question again!)

The original question
How do I know if the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card is an Atheros? How to determine the make/model of the card? (especially if there's no OS in the laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back