Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Some Apps Hang Upon Launch (networking/wi-fi?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gam. 7
CPU
i7-8770K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi friends,

I recently built a new system and it works 99% as desired, with some small lingering issues. I've tried searching the forums but these issues seem to be tough to describe. Hopefully, your immense knowledge can help.

The main issue is that several apps hang upon launch. That is, they don't launch but go right to (Not Responding) status. The icon bounces in the Dock and the indicator light appears, but the app fails to materialise. So far, the apps that consistently do this are:
  • Slack (download directly, not from App Store)
  • Notion (no App Store version)
I also see similar behaviour with some websites, most notably Facebook, which results in that specific tab freezing. (in Safari 12.0.3, my preferred browser)

A system restart fixes this problem, but needless to say, it's a nuisance! Can anyone see a suspected cause or fix? Would love to get this thing up and running properly without the need for constant restarting. So far I've tried dumping the preferences and setting files, and reinstalling both apps, but this persists. It's very odd — can anyone help?

---

My system

Hardware:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
  • CPU: Intel i7-8700k
  • Graphics: MSI Armor Radeon RX570
  • Sound and Network: on-board
  • No Wi-Fi chip — I prefer Ethernet-only
  • macOS 10.14.3 Mojave
Configurations:
  • /Library/Extensions folder zipped [attached]
  • /EFI/Clover/config.plist [attached]
  • Motherboard/boot options:
    • Save & ExitLoad Optimized Defaults
    • M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Profile1
    • BIOS → Fast Boot : Disabled
    • BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled
    • BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
    • Peripherals → Trusted Computing → Security Device Support : Disable
    • Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
    • Peripherals → USB Configuration → Legacy USB Support : Auto
    • Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
    • Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
    • Chipset → Wake on LAN Enable : Disabled
    • Chipset → IOAPIC 24-119 Entries : Enabled

Attachments

• scottperezfox-config-20190217.plist
    7 KB · Views: 25
  • scottperezfox-Extensions-20190217.zip
    3 MB · Views: 38
After some further research, it seems this is a wider Mojave problem. Folks have complained about this problem, usually after an upgrade from High Sierra, and have solved it by rolling back. There doesn't seem to be a fix as such.

Rolling back isn't an option — I'm still getting set up and can't afford to be without a desktop system for another week+ — but I will try to reinstall the system update 10.14.3 and see if that sorts things out, for some reason.

Hate to bump my own thread, but this problem is back. ...

Like a dumbass, I updated my system to 10.14.5. Solved numerous problems in the immediate aftermath, but this symptom returns.

In the previous iteration, the fix was to update Clover and download the latest version of all extensions. This time, though, I'm not sure what to do. Network connects after wake, but a few select apps will crap themselves until I restart. It's very baffling.

The solution, at least, the fix that seems to work presently, is to uninstall all network kexts from /Library/Extensions, and then use Multibeast to install IntelMausiEthernet v2.3.0. The other versions didn't work, nor did switching to AppleIntelE1000e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back