Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I can't get graphics acceleration with my sierra 16C67 build + a 980ti nvidia card. I installed the drivers, enabled NvidiaWeb via the system parameters config.plist but when I boot up, it says my graphics are "nvidia chip model 8 mb". The only screen that comes on is my DVI on my graphics card itself. I am using iMac 14,2 and previously was able to get the accleration working with the 10.12.1 version of sierra. I am only using the dart and darkwake bootflags and am not injecting any nvidia drivers.

Interestingly, the web drivers app does say that it is using the nvidia drivers, so this is not the issue that others had where it would default back to the system drivers. In fact, it won't even let me disable them, if I do and restart it will show up as the web drivers anyway. Could anyone offer any suggestions?

I can't get graphics acceleration with my sierra 16C67 build + a 980ti nvidia card. I installed the drivers, enabled NvidiaWeb via the system parameters config.plist but when I boot up, it says my graphics are "nvidia chip model 8 mb". The only screen that comes on is my DVI on my graphics card itself. I am using iMac 14,2 and previously was able to get the accleration working with the 10.12.1 version of sierra. I am only using the dart and darkwake bootflags and am not injecting any nvidia drivers.

Interestingly, the web drivers app does say that it is using the nvidia drivers, so this is not the issue that others had where it would default back to the system drivers. In fact, it won't even let me disable them, if I do and restart it will show up as the web drivers anyway. Could anyone offer any suggestions?

Wha does About This Mac say about your card?

After installing the latest nvidia drivers, I cannot get past the apple logo w bar in either normal boot or recovery. Tried booting in safe mode and it stops loading at:
**** [IOBluetoothFamily][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] == Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!
I had tried the wifi/bt patch from beelzebozo's skylake build and was unable to get it to identify either bluetooth or wifi. ethernet works.
I don't have a very good idea of what to try next.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I found that Soundgrid.kext was causing a hangup (Waves SoundGrid: Error getting list of Ethernet Interfaces: 6) in verbose mode. I removed the drive, loaded it on my mbp, and removed the soundgrid.kext but now verbose mode it gets to
[IOBluetoothFamily][start] -- completed
000011.316023 AppleUSB20HugPort@14a30000: AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures
**** [IOBluetoothFamily][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] == Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

Can't boot in safe mode, or into recovery disk.

Last edited:
When I first built my system the screen went black during the apple load screen. I tried a variety of different fixes. Eventually I hooked up a monitor to the DVI port rather than the HDMI port and I was able to deduce the issue.

The problem is likely a malformed version of the 60hz clock speed with a recent version of the Nvidia drivers for HDMI 2.0 output. When I run to HDMI using the Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD adapter, all of the Video settings work to my LG OLED.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BQ8I54/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

If you are having problems with a 980ti (or other nvidia cards) and you are hooked up to a display, such as a modern 4k TV set, with HDMI 2.0 that supports 4k @ 60hz, you will likely need a different monitor to get set up.

When I first built my system the screen went black during the apple load screen. I tried a variety of different fixes. Eventually I hooked up a monitor to the DVI port rather than the HDMI port and I was able to deduce the issue.

The problem is likely a malformed version of the 60hz clock speed with a recent version of the Nvidia drivers for HDMI 2.0 output. When I run to HDMI using the Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD adapter, all of the Video settings work to my LG OLED.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BQ8I54/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

If you are having problems with a 980ti (or other nvidia cards) and you are hooked up to a display, such as a modern 4k TV set, with HDMI 2.0 that supports 4k @ 60hz, you will likely need a different monitor to get set up.

OS X doesn't support HDMI 2.0. You should be able to use the Pixel Clock Patch to enable it though.

I'm new to this world. and I would like to ask for your help.
This is my Rig:
4790K on Z97 chipset
16 Gb DDR3
SLI of 980 Ti​
My current usage system profile of Mac 14.2, work fine. The system correctly recognizes the cards (with Luxmark 3.1 I have a score of 38550), but i see a stuttering with FCP and iMovie.
How can I solve this problem? ...With another System Profile?
I tried to deactivate the second VGA with "nvidiasingle", but I keep seeing both cards in the system, and the problem persists. However, it would be a shame not to be able to use both cards in FCP, because I tested FCP with Xbruce benchmark, closing in 12 seconds...
Furthermore I have a problem with Sound Blaster Z not recognized, but it is not for this thread...

Thanks for the eventual support.

Last edited:
Good morning,
if we haven't the driver for macOS e.g. for the GTX10x0, does it is possible to work in Bootcamp with the Windows' drivers?

Good morning,
if we haven't the driver for macOS e.g. for the GTX10x0, does it is possible to work in Bootcamp with the Windows' drivers?

Of course the card will work in Windows

Thank you very much to all involved!! Specially to slim.jim...

After reading practically all the thread and various failed attempts, my card & system are finally working.

Greetings from Barcelona!

----------------------------
NEWS: As of the 10.10.5 driver there are no longer the checks in the distribution file for system profile and if the hardware is installed. It only checks for the OS X build number. This makes problems 1 and 3 obsolete.
----------------------------

hi i have Z170X-UD3 i7 6700 GTX 970

when i instal the webdrivers, the computer refuse to open sierra, it restart or reboot during the verbose. if i put nv_disable=1 in the boot flag sierra open but without nvidia GTX 790 detected. if i uninstall the webdrivers. no need boot flag to run. the webdrivers are the good one
this is the where it restarting video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iWZFOT8POXMzJZZGRfYVNTV2c/view?usp=sharing
this is my installation report
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iWZFOT8POXRmllM0JSYjN3b1k/view?usp=sharing

BIOS Settings
  • In BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Fatures: other
    • CSM Support: Enabled
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • In Peripherals:
    • Intel Platform Trust Technology: Disabled
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (Or whatever slot your GFX is in)
    • Legacy USB Support: Enabled
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
    • Port 60/64 Emulation: Disabled
    • In Super IO Configuration:
      • Serial Port 1: Disabled
  • In Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Internal Graphics: Disabled
    • Audio Controller: Enabled
    • PCH LAN Controller: Enabled
    • IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled

if you can help me thanks by advance