Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

No, don't use Shilohh's AGDPfix on a real Mac Pro! He needs to update the Nvidia web drivers as the security update changed the build number. I don't happen to remember how to fix NVRAM, but he can find that information on the MacRumors' forum, Mac Pro forum section.

Thank You Stork. Indeed, that's a real Mac Pro. I want to update the nVidia Web Drivers, but the thing is - I can't get it to show any screen where i could operate it so that i could update them. I even popped in the old HD 5770 to get it running, but no luck. It's still a dark screen. It should run on the old card, shouldn't it? I think i can only pop a second HDD and try installing a fresh system. But I really don't get why the old card doesn't work either. Maybe it's the fault of the fact that the screen is a 4K HP 27s?

Thank You Stork. Indeed, that's a real Mac Pro. I want to update the nVidia Web Drivers, but the thing is - I can't get it to show any screen where i could operate it so that i could update them. I even popped in the old HD 5770 to get it running, but no luck. It's still a dark screen. It should run on the old card, shouldn't it? I think i can only pop a second HDD and try installing a fresh system. But I really don't get why the old card doesn't work either. Maybe it's the fault of the fact that the screen is a 4K HP 27s?

Is the 5770 an official Mac card? If so, have you done a PRAM reset?

Perhaps someone can help me, I can't seem to get them to load on Sierra GM.

I installed the latest, but for whatever reason they don't load. I am using the same config.plist as I did in El Capitan, so nvda_drv=1 is definitely present, and I have EmuVariable installed as well, and tried the RC scripts method.

Is there anything past this that might work? Thankfully I don't need these drivers for a fully functional computer, but it would be beneficial. Everything else is working flawlessly, even my NVMe 950 Pro!

Perhaps someone can help me, I can't seem to get them to load on Sierra GM.

I installed the latest, but for whatever reason they don't load. I am using the same config.plist as I did in El Capitan, so nvda_drv=1 is definitely present, and I have EmuVariable installed as well, and tried the RC scripts method.

Is there anything past this that might work? Thankfully I don't need these drivers for a fully functional computer, but it would be beneficial. Everything else is working flawlessly, even my NVMe 950 Pro!

Are you sure the drivers are not loading? Check by entering this into terminal:

Code:
sudo kextstat | grep nv

If the resulting output has Web at the end of the driver names then you are using the Web drivers. Also, are you using the Sierra beta drivers? This driver should work - Nvidia Web Driver - 367.10.10.05b01

Last edited:
Are you sure the drivers are not loading? Check by entering this into terminal:

Code:
sudo kextstat | grep nv

If the resulting output has Web at the end of the driver names then you are using the Web drivers. Also, are you using the Sierra beta drivers? This driver should work - Nvidia Web Driver - 367.10.10.05b01

Hi!

I'm fairly certain that the drivers aren't loading, here are a few different methods I used to test that

b6c3ljds.png

1t84fu15.png

d2lmuf41.png

And they are definitely installed, here is what I see in the preference pane
jh4qj2wl.png

I also have SIP disabled. Hmm, any other ideas? It's been driving me crazy haha.

I think I've got an interesting one for ya'll and any assistance earns you double karma because Loreno10 (post #1052) has the same problem with the same gpu...
Without nvda_drv=1 the system boots properly but with native graphics only of course. With nvda_drv=1 it usually, but not always (~75% of attempts), force-restarts just when you'd expect the verbose screen to turn to the login screen.

When it does manage to boot, the graphics acceleration works properly (full resolution, multiple monitors supported etc). There is no obvious pattern: sometimes it fails, sometimes it boots. Without changing any settings, I just let it boot-loop until it succeeds.
So, I've been video-recording the verbose screen with my iphone *eyeroll*. The following entries sometimes come up just before a crash, and I've never seen them before a successful boot:

NTFS driver 3.13 [Flags: R/W].
NTFS volume name System Reserved, version 3.1.
NTFS error (device /dev/disk2s1, pid 139): ntfs_restart_page_header_is_valid(): $LogFile version 2.0 is not supported. (This driver supports version 1.1 only.)

I don't know what that means, but since it mentioned NTFS I unplugged my windows drives just to be safe; it didn't help.
I'm hoping this clue sounds familiar to someone with more knowledge and experience than me. Thanks in advance.

Failure looks like:
fails.jpg
Success looks like:
succeeds.jpg

Last edited:
I also updated to 10.12 GM (16A320) and the nvidia drivers just wont load - i've tried a few the EMU64 drivers, RC scripts, editing the nvidia driver .plist to match the build number, can't seem to work it out :(

EDIT: Cancel that! i just re-installed the nvidia drivers and somehow its working now :D

EDIT2: Sound via DP on my GTX 750Ti isnt working now though

EDIT3: Sound is now working fine again after i woke up my hackintosh from sleep... no idea what happened but im happy :D

Last edited:
I also updated to 10.12 GM (16A320) and the nvidia drivers just wont load - i've tried a few the EMU64 drivers, RC scripts, editing the nvidia driver .plist to match the build number, can't seem to work it out :(

EDIT: Cancel that! i just re-installed the nvidia drivers and somehow its working now :D

EDIT2: Sound via DP on my GTX 750Ti isnt working now though

Huh..... wow yea it worked after reinstalling it. Why didn't I think of trying that? haha

Awesome, works now. Thanks!

@xprime In my case verbose screen doesn't differ when it's about to boot properly compared to failed boot - they are the same, I don't have any NTFS error. I'm still struggling with this issue, I hope someone smarter than me can find a solution.

Huh..... wow yea it worked after reinstalling it. Why didn't I think of trying that? haha

Awesome, works now. Thanks!

Hey all!

I've been having the same problem as well, however reinstalling web drivers doesn't work for me either ... Any help? :D:think:
Also starting to go crazy over this :lol:

I will note though that it was able to boot with full graphics acceleration when I was booting into the Recovery partition ... :think:

-Duncan

Back