Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

What am I doing wrong? Using an eVGA 770 with a MacPro (3,1) System profile on OSX 10.11.6. Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H.

I updated accidently (didn't click Remind Me Tomorrow) and I still have older Nvidia Web drivers installed as far as I know.

When I reboot, I get a black screen that tries to load the desktop, but gives up remains black. I cannot get to the desktop even if I use "nv_disable=1" - nothing.

I have Clover installed but can only access the Clover Boot Selector menu after POST (I don't know what it's called).

Help! None of the threads can help and I don't know where to go. This is my only desktop other than this iPad I'm typing on.

What am I doing wrong? Using an eVGA 770 with a MacPro (3,1) System profile on OSX 10.11.6. Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H.

I updated accidently (didn't click Remind Me Tomorrow) and I still have older Nvidia Web drivers installed as far as I know.

When I reboot, I get a black screen that tries to load the desktop, but gives up remains black. I cannot get to the desktop even if I use "nv_disable=1" - nothing.

I have Clover installed but can only access the Clover Boot Selector menu after POST (I don't know what it's called).

Help! None of the threads can help and I don't know where to go. This is my only desktop other than this iPad I'm typing on.

Your card is natively supported, it should boot without the web drivers being enabled. Remove the nvda_drv=1 and the nv_disable=1 boot flags and try booting.

Your card is natively supported, it should boot without the web drivers being enabled. Remove the nvda_drv=1 and the nv_disable=1 boot flags and try booting.

Thanks for replying.

When I remove all boot flags from the Clover configuration (Options >> Boot Args), I still get the black screen that attempts to load the desktop: the white Apple logo on a black screen appears with a progress bar, then it goes to a black screen and no desktop.

So any or no boot Args results in a black screen. NV_Disable=1 gives me the white Apple logo on a black screen, then a busy circle appears overlaid on top of the progress bar. Then it freezes although I do see HDD activity. Then nothing.

Should I pull the card out of the chassis and reboot? Would that do anything if I used the integrated video off the motherboard?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for replying.

When I remove all boot flags from the Clover configuration (Options >> Boot Args), I still get the black screen that attempts to load the desktop: the white Apple logo on a black screen appears with a progress bar, then it goes to a black screen and no desktop.

So any or no boot Args results in a black screen. NV_Disable=1 gives me the white Apple logo on a black screen, then a busy circle appears overlaid on top of the progress bar. Then it freezes although I do see HDD activity. Then nothing.

Should I pull the card out of the chassis and reboot? Would that do anything if I used the integrated video off the motherboard?

Thanks for your help

All righty. Out of desperation, I pulled the video card out of the chassis and plugged my Displayport cable straight to the MB and... Same damn thing.

I took out all boot Args... Nothing. Black screen that has a progress bar appear, then black screen... Again and again
I put nv_disable=1 back in the boot Args... Same thing
I found my USB El Capitan boot disk.. That booted, so I repaired permissions using First Aid under Disk Utility. Rebooted... Same thing with the progress bar then nothing.

Has ANYONE seen this before? There are no Nvidia card in my PC, so what is causing OSX not to start the desktop?

Help!

Screw it. Reinstalled from scratch only to have the Security Update fsck the whole thing up again. Lol. Can't win with this ****.

Hi - I'm currently suffering from Problem #4, but as the screen goes black I can't work out a way in which I'm able to apply these fixes. I changed the profile to the iMac 17,1 and since restarting it's just been a black screen after the boot sequence. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hi - I'm currently suffering from Problem #4, but as the screen goes black I can't work out a way in which I'm able to apply these fixes. I changed the profile to the iMac 17,1 and since restarting it's just been a black screen after the boot sequence. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
When you boot with the nv_disable=1 boot flag, are you able to boot?
If so, use that boot flag, make your modifications, then try rebooting with the nvda_drvr=1 boot flag.

Hi everyone, i have a Mac Pro 5.1. It had a Radeon HD 5770 installed. I wanted to run a 4K HP Z27s screen, so i bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I installed the nVidia software and everything was running smoothly on a DisplayPort cable... until I hit the Software Update button and it installed some 10.11 update and after a reboot the screen is black. I put back the HD 5770, but to my surprise, the screen is still black... I'm using the DVI-out on the Radeon and the HDMI-in on the HP Z27s. I have no clue what to do. Please help. I can return the favour by doing some large format prints, which is what i specialize in :)

Hi everyone, i have a Mac Pro 5.1. It had a Radeon HD 5770 installed. I wanted to run a 4K HP Z27s screen, so i bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I installed the nVidia software and everything was running smoothly on a DisplayPort cable... until I hit the Software Update button and it installed some 10.11 update and after a reboot the screen is black. I put back the HD 5770, but to my surprise, the screen is still black... I'm using the DVI-out on the Radeon and the HDMI-in on the HP Z27s. I have no clue what to do. Please help. I can return the favour by doing some large format prints, which is what i specialize in :)
Assuming that you have the latest webdrivers installed, that your computer in still running, and you just have black screens (You can remote into it.), use Shilohh's AGDPfix mentioned in Problem 4 (or one of the other methods listed there).

Assuming that you have the latest webdrivers installed, that your computer in still running, and you just have black screens (You can remote into it.), use Shilohh's AGDPfix mentioned in Problem 4 (or one of the other methods listed there).
No, don't use Shilohh's AGDPfix on a real Mac Pro! He needs to update the Nvidia web drivers as the security update changed the build number. I don't happen to remember how to fix NVRAM, but he can find that information on the MacRumors' forum, Mac Pro forum section.

Back