Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

Hi,

Ive done a clean instal using clover on a z97 sabertooth Mark 2 board. OSX working fine, now trying to get 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 960 ssc cards working.

The new drivers from nvidia install fine as did Cuda, however the card (or cards it seems to make no difference) show up in about this mac as 'Display 5 mb', and don't show up at all in the nvidia preferences pane. if i switch the graphics drivers to nvidia and reboot, it reboots with the os drivers...? Help

best Jon

GraphicsEnabler=No or Inject/Nvidia/False, depending on your boot loader.

Hi Slim Jim,

Thanks for your quick reply, I've now tried both but no joy... it may be me being an idiot as I'm not yet used to clover.

Am i right that on clover 2.0 you press space while options is highlighted then either;
write GraphicsEnabler=No into the Boot Args option,
or
navigate into the Graphics injector menu find the nvidia option and press enter which places a '+' in the box?

Is this correct?

thanks again, Jon

Hi Slim Jim,

Thanks for your quick reply, I've now tried both but no joy... it may be me being an idiot as I'm not yet used to clover.

Am i right that on clover 2.0 you press space while options is highlighted then either;
write GraphicsEnabler=No into the Boot Args option,
or
navigate into the Graphics injector menu find the nvidia option and press enter which places a '+' in the box?

Is this correct?

thanks again, Jon

GraphicsEnabler=No is not for Clover. You need to go to the options and press enter to remove the check box for Inject/Nvidia.

GraphicsEnabler=No is not for Clover. You need to go to the options and press enter to remove the check box for Inject/Nvidia.

Hi Jim,

in that case, the option for nvidia injector is set to unflagged as default. I also had a quick look at the config.plist file and it contains the string
'<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>'

It still boots os graphics drivers, and describes the card in about this mac as 'Graphics 5mb', while not detecting the card in the nvidia preferences pane.

any other ideas?

Following is copied from system report. could it be to do with the MacPro3,1 definition?

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.30 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): W88A77AA5J4
Serial Number (processor tray): C02140302D5DMT31M
Hardware UUID: 3C8F5378-7890-5F62-B34A-D3D43E690654

Display:

Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 5 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1401
Revision ID: 0x00a1
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

Thanks again for any pointers.
jon

What boot flags are you using?

Hi everybody,
my name is Mike and this is my first post. i like the enthusiastic and helpful work of Tony and all of you. Thanks for that and the many hours of helpless fumbling you saved me from.o_O

Seems I have the same problem on my Hackintosh. Nvidia ran fine with 10.11.0, but after update to 10.11.1, the new installed driver 346.03.03f01 sent the screeen to darkness during boot.
First I tried to reboot with Clover arg "nv_disable=1" to reinstall the driver with no Nvidia running, but that did not work. The screen still went black after booting bar reaching about 3/4 of its length.
Then I saw that the system profile under "about this Mac" showed a generic Nvidia graphics card in slot 0 withh 0MB VRAM. The card was not recognized in the Nvidia control panel in System Preferendes. All slots were shown "empty".

I found this kinda strange. So I investigated in this direction. I opened Clover Configurator and saw that the machine profile was set to "Imac 8.1". After changing this to "Imac 14.1" and booting with "nv_disable=1", the graphics card was correctly shown as Geforce 750 ti in the system profile. Also in the control panel the card was shown in its slot.

After setting the boot back to "ndrv_enable=1" the hackintosh booted cleanly to the desktop and has full Nvidia card support with 10.11.1 El Capitan.

Board: GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU: Intel 4590 Haswell
RAM: 8GB dual
HDD: Home-brewed Fusion Drive SSD Evo 850/WD EARX 2TB
Graphics: Intel4600 and PCI Nvidia Geforce 750 ti
Screen: LG 27MU67-B (DP-connected)
System: El Capitan 10.11.1
Boot: Clover
Nvidia driver installed: 346.03.03f01

I hope this is helpful fo one or the other...

What boot flags are you using?

Umm... At boot i get,

Boot args dart=0

With no flags in the injector menu,

Heres the graphics section from my config.plist

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>DualLink</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>FBName</key>
<string></string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>InjectEDID</key>
<true/>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<string>0000000000000000000000000000000000000000</string>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>
<key>VRAM</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>VideoPorts</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>display-cfg</key>
<string>0000000000000000</string>
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0000</string>
</dict>

(vram value, port value, injectedid, patchvbios are values i have entered / changed trying to fault find.)

thanks again

Umm... At boot i get,

Boot args dart=0

With no flags in the injector menu,

Heres the graphics section from my config.plist

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>DualLink</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>FBName</key>
<string></string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>InjectEDID</key>
<true/>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<string>0000000000000000000000000000000000000000</string>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>
<key>VRAM</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>VideoPorts</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>display-cfg</key>
<string>0000000000000000</string>
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0000</string>
</dict>

(vram value, port value, injectedid, patchvbios are values i have entered / changed trying to fault find.)

thanks again

In order to use the Nvidia Web drivers you must have the boot argument nvda_drv=1.

In order to use the Nvidia Web drivers you must have the boot argument nvda_drv=1.

unfortunately that causes a reset halfway through boot, even in verbose mode i can't see whats causing the panic.

Managed to boot in safe mode
and by
adding nv-disable=1

??

unfortunately that causes a reset halfway through boot, even in verbose mode i can't see whats causing the panic.

Managed to boot in safe mode
and by
adding nv-disable=1

??

You need to figure out what is causing the kernel panic because without nvda_drv=1 you will never get your GTX 960 working.

What kext are you injecting or have installed to S/L/E?

Back