Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

attempting clover install, standby.

Edit: After several attempts, can't even get clover to boot from the USB. Pathetic

Reverting to maverick's and removing 970. Guess I need to do a fresh install, something I can't afford at the moment.

Thanks!
I find NVidiaWebdriverModder.sh that easily work around this numbering issue of the web driver.
You can google it and download this for use.

Where did you download this NVidiaWebdriverModder.sh? I installed the Apple Security Update 2015-004 and it changed my 10.10.5 system version to 14F1012 and now the web drivers stopped working because they were designed for 14F27. After trying a few things,bi uninstalled the web drivers and while I was able to reinstall the drivers by editing the system version plist file, when booting the web drivers still recognize the real system version and are being greyed out, not being able to choose them in the Nvidia preference pane. Maybe someone else knows what else I can do to solve this.

hi Jim
For Problem 4, I'm thinking if there's a way to inject/patch AppleGraphicPolicy by clover, instead of modify the kext itself, if so, you don't have to modify it every time you upgrade the system (if you didn't change the simbios back to anything else from imac15,1 or macpro6,1, you'll get a black screen after you upgrade, and without the display, you will be more difficult to change the simbios ), just a guess,any suggestion? thanks in advance!

hi Jim
For Problem 4, I'm thinking if there's a way to inject/patch AppleGraphicPolicy by clover, instead of modify the kext itself, if so, you don't have to modify it every time you upgrade the system (if you didn't change the simbios back to anything else from imac15,1 or macpro6,1, you'll get a black screen after you upgrade, and without the display, you will be more difficult to change the simbios ), just a guess,any suggestion? thanks in advance!

I am not sure how to patch it on the fly using Clover. What I do is keep a duplicate config named config142.plist with an smbios for iMac14,2. From the Clover boot options menu just change "config" to "config142" and boot. Then make the changes to the file again and reboot. It has never affected iMessage or anything like that.

Problem 4: Monitor goes to sleep at the end of the boot sequence when using iMac15,1 or MacPro 6,1 system definition

Fix: modify the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext

1. Open Terminal
  2. Enter this command (it is one line)

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. Arrow down to where you see <key>ConfigMap</key>
  4. For the iMac15,1 locate the board-id "Mac-42FD25EABCABB274" and change string below it from "Config2" to "none". For the MacPro6,1 you will do the same thing but for the board-id "Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6".
  5. Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
  6. Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
  7. Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

8. Reboot

NOTE:
you may need to use kext-dev-mode=1 if not already using it to allow the modified kext.​

THIS ONE SOLVED MY PROBLEMS BIG THANKS TO SLIMJIM love you man :)
NOTE: just updated to 10.10.5 hours ago by accident and found this solution my best work around

So far I can only boot with a GTX 970 in El Capitan using "npci=0x2000" in clover, and even then there is no acceleration (no transparency, artefacts after animations).
Clover is configured with "kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 npci=0x2000 dart=0". Any ideas?

Edit: it finally worked with Solution #4.
Additionally I have set SMBIOS to IMac 14,1, set clover to use flags "arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000 dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1", removed "darkwake".

By coincidence, handoff started working as well, so double win :D

Hi,
Now in Capitan. No longer uses:
lex-dev-mode=1
It is now used:
rootless=0
This is to start with modified kext.

Best regards

Thank you! Solution to Problem #4 saved my day!

Hello slim.jim...as everybody i updated Yosemite with the new security patch and i'm not able to boot OSX.
I'm on an X99 system (Asus X99-E-WS + 5960x+EVGA Titanx) Mac6,1 definitions and boot with Clover.
My original bootflag is npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1
After the update i changed as described here nvda_drv=1 to nv_disable=1 but after boot, system reboots at PCIConfiguration begin...
i tried adding -x -v -f but nothing happens...always stuck at PCIConfiguration begin and i'm not able to reach the GUI to install new nvidia web drivers...
Any suggestion?

Hi,

Ive done a clean instal using clover on a z97 sabertooth Mark 2 board. OSX working fine, now trying to get 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 960 ssc cards working.

The new drivers from nvidia install fine as did Cuda, however the card (or cards it seems to make no difference) show up in about this mac as 'Display 5 mb', and don't show up at all in the nvidia preferences pane. if i switch the graphics drivers to nvidia and reboot, it reboots with the os drivers...? Help

best Jon

Back