Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

Jim, Thanks for alerting me to this post... totally missed it!

Just one question prior to kick off... My build is (14D136)

and you specify WebDriver-346.01.02f02

But as I have discovered with my existing install... it wants to update t0 02f04

so...do I let it? or will this break the uinstall?

Jim, You Rock Brother!

Big Thanks.... Up and running on all 3 ports and no boot flags bar kext Dev!

SUper Guide... plz let me know about the update question in my last reply!

Thanks for the suggestion. I am now in a position where I get a blank screen with the spinning beachball in the top of the screen. It moves with the mouse but that's about it...

Jim, You Rock Brother!

Big Thanks.... Up and running on all 3 ports and no boot flags bar kext Dev!

SUper Guide... plz let me know about the update question in my last reply!

Updating to f04 is fine. I just haven't updated the guide yet.

Hey Guys,

I've just finished my install of 10.10.3
I've updated to the latest version of the NVidia Driver (Which has been fine). The big issue for me is the CUDA drivers... They won't stay after reboot! System prefrences says its there. but if I do a "kextstat | grep -i cuda" it shows nothing. all my cuda enabled apps wont detect my gpu either. I've tried with two different gfx cards. the Titan X & my gtx 770. Same results. is it a permissions error when writing to the system folders? maybe I need to enable a cuda driver to be loaded on startup?? Please help if u can guys, its been super frustrating :/

here's my plist

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I am currently using clover; previously using integrated video HD3000.

just installed 960. I had installed the nvidia web drivers PRIOR to installing the card by using this guide and adding my smbios, Mac mini5,1 to the allowable smbios in the installer package.

Upon installing the card, the clover boot loader automatically added nvda_drv=1 , but it also changed my smbios from Macmini5,1 to Imac12,1. With this, the computer would crash immediately after apple logo (before desktop would show up). Windows boots fine.

by manually changing smbios back to Macmini5,1 at the clover startup screen, I was able to boot into OS X successfully, using Nvidia web drivers.

From the instructions, I thought the smbios issue was only for installation, but it would seem that is causing my problem. any thoughts?

I am currently using clover; previously using integrated video HD3000.

just installed 960. I had installed the nvidia web drivers PRIOR to installing the card by using this guide and adding my smbios, Mac mini5,1 to the allowable smbios in the installer package.

Upon installing the card, the clover boot loader automatically added nvda_drv=1 , but it also changed my smbios from Macmini5,1 to Imac12,1. With this, the computer would crash immediately after apple logo (before desktop would show up). Windows boots fine.

by manually changing smbios back to Macmini5,1 at the clover startup screen, I was able to boot into OS X successfully, using Nvidia web drivers.

From the instructions, I thought the smbios issue was only for installation, but it would seem that is causing my problem. any thoughts?

Here is what I think happened...
Likely you don't have a defined SMBIOS in your Clover config file so it is generating one based on your hardware at boot. Before, since you were only using integrated graphics a Mac Mini makes sense. After you added the GPU, Clover detected it and changed your SMBIOS to iMac which makes sense with the new discrete card.

I would recommend creating the proper SMBIOS entries in your config file using Clover Configurator. That way it won't chnage again.

I'm starting to experiment with Clover but get a slow loading black screen with a white Apple logo in the center before it quits and restarts. Is there a way to enter nvidia boot flags in Clover or patch it with the updated graphics drivers?

When you get the Clover boot screen use the arrow keys to move to the options icon. Press enter and then you will see a spot for boot arguments. Again use the arrow keys to highlight that and press enter, type in the flags and press enter to save them. Press esc to go back to the main boot menu and boot OS X. Here is what it looks like (mlcamp2 theme):

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is what I think happened...
Likely you don't have a defined SMBIOS in your Clover config file so it is generating one based on your hardware at boot. Before, since you were only using integrated graphics a Mac Mini makes sense. After you added the GPU, Clover detected it and changed your SMBIOS to iMac which makes sense with the new discrete card.

I would recommend creating the proper SMBIOS entries in your config file using Clover Configurator. That way it won't chnage again.

agreed...I guess the question(s) I have is
1) does the post installation smbios have to match the devices listed on the installer package?
2) is there any way to retroactively change the device list after installation (or should one repeat the installation, adding in this case iMac smbios)?

I guess just changing the smbios in clover is easy enough, but I somehow like keeping clover running on automatic....

Back