Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

agreed...I guess the question(s) I have is
1) does the post installation smbios have to match the devices listed on the installer package?
2) is there any way to retroactively change the device list after installation (or should one repeat the installation, adding in this case iMac smbios)?

I guess just changing the smbios in clover is easy enough, but I somehow like keeping clover running on automatic....

Once the driver is installed your system definition no longer matters. It will update fine in the future using the preference pane since there is a check in the installer to see if there is a driver present already and it then skips all the other checks if it returns true.

I prefer to have a SMBIOS setup to avoid iMessage issues and other issues like the one you were experiencing.

Once the driver is installed your system definition no longer matters. It will update fine in the future using the preference pane since there is a check in the installer to see if there is a driver present already and it then skips all the other checks if it returns true.

I prefer to have a SMBIOS setup to avoid iMessage issues and other issues like the one you were experiencing.

I just set my smbios to macmini5,1 via clover configurator, all is good. Interestingly, it DOES seem that at least on my system, I get boot loop just after leaving the apple startup screen if I do not have the Mac mini smbios. Don't know if there is a dsdt conflict or what....

another question that might be useful for future OS X upgrades and compulsory nvidia web driver upgrades: is it possible to install the web drivers to a non boot drive? I have not been able to do so, interested to know if there is a setting in the distribution file that can be altered to do so. As I like to have a second working OS X install on my computer for testing/disaster mitigation purposes, this might be nice.

I just set my smbios to macmini5,1 via clover configurator, all is good. Interestingly, it DOES seem that at least on my system, I get boot loop just after leaving the apple startup screen if I do not have the Mac mini smbios. Don't know if there is a dsdt conflict or what....

another question that might be useful for future OS X upgrades and compulsory nvidia web driver upgrades: is it possible to install the web drivers to a non boot drive? I have not been able to do so, interested to know if there is a setting in the distribution file that can be altered to do so. As I like to have a second working OS X install on my computer for testing/disaster mitigation purposes, this might be nice.

This is untested but you could probably use Pacifist to extract all of the kext and bundles from the installer package, copy them to the S/L/E folder on the destination drive and then repair permissions. There isn't anything in the distribution file that tells the pkg where to install the files.

I think it would be easier to just boot to the second drive using nv_disable=1 and then update the drivers.

Sharing Fix, Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache when installing Nvidia Web drivers

I had a issue recently tried to install Nvidia drivers on Clover (Gigabyte z87-ud3h 4770K Nvidia 750 GTX / Yosemite 10.10.3 Clover). No matter what I did the installer would error at the end of install. After 2 weeks of constantly reading forums with nothing working. I finally found the solution.

Steps:

1. I download the web drivers for 10.10.3 (14D136) 14.2 (note: this was my build and it may be different for yours) in step 2 in the forum link below.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-problems.html

2. I tried to install and it would fail at the end of the install.

3. I looked at the logs and kept getting error below.
installd[5858]: kextcache: Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

4. open terminal and ran
sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

I got a return of Kext errors

/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext is not authentic; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Can't use FakeSMC.kext - not linked.
Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.GPUSensors; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[1444] exited with status 71.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

5. Deleted the kext above from /System/Library/Extensions/
6. Install nvidia web drivers no issues
7. Rebooted
8. All is good.

This is the source I use to fix my issue . I hope it is useful because it was for me.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/60792-multibeast-installation-failed-5.html

Sounds like you didn't properly install FakeSMC.kext which is a required kext to boot. Not really an issue with the drivers, but thanks for posting.

Installed Nvidia Geforce EVGA GTX 960 on Gigabyte Z77-DSH3 and intel i5 3570k.

Before installing the GPU I downloaded and installed web drivers (there is a link around these posts) and then CUDA from nvidia website.
Turned off the PC. Switched cards. Turned on and it worked.

At first I had this issue: "Since the GTX 960 has no VGA output had to connect it via DVI or HDMI resulting impossible to access MOBO BIOS (I suppose it is too old?) then had to download from Gigabyte the newest BIOS and update the mob using Q-Flash and a USB Stick. Quite easy.
Once rebooted the system was able to access gain the Bios, F9, F12 etc....

Under Yosemite the GTX seems to work even if in System info it is indicated as a generic "NVIDIA Graphics Device 2047 MB :roll2:
Maybe it won't affect the performance ....

Installed Nvidia Geforce EVGA GTX 960 on Gigabyte Z77-DSH3 and intel i5 3570k.

Before installing the GPU I downloaded and installed web drivers (there is a link around these posts) and then CUDA from nvidia website.
Turned off the PC. Switched cards. Turned on and it worked.

At first I had this issue: "Since the GTX 960 has no VGA output had to connect it via DVI or HDMI resulting impossible to access MOBO BIOS (I suppose it is too old?) then had to download from Gigabyte the newest BIOS and update the mob using Q-Flash and a USB Stick. Quite easy.
Once rebooted the system was able to access gain the Bios, F9, F12 etc....

Under Yosemite the GTX seems to work even if in System info it is indicated as a generic "NVIDIA Graphics Device 2047 MB :roll2:
Maybe it won't affect the performance ....

Make sure you are on the latest drivers. At some point there was one released for the GTX 960 that added the proper name for the card in About this Mac.

Sorry i need some help in finding my system id anyone please i will appreciate the help since im still learning. Thank you

Sorry i need some help in finding my system id anyone please i will appreciate the help since im still learning. Thank you

Click on the Apple in the upper left and choose About This Mac. Then click the System Information button in the windows that opens. It will open a new window and you will see "Model Identifier:" under Hardware Overview. That is what you want.

I fresh installed Yosemite(10.10.3) with Clover(with resolution/graphical/lag issues) and changed my SMBIOS to MacPro5,1 and removed S/L/E/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and it booted fine(still resolution/graphical/lag issues) and then installed the nvidia web drivers, and changed my config.plist to have the boot flags: dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 and -v, and the boot would stop at:
Code:
[AGPM Controller ] unknownPlatform
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1540
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2200
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 199
So i changed my boot flags to: dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1 and I was able to boot again(still resolution/graphical/lag issues).
I read your post somewhere that in config.plist, "Inject NVidia" should not be selected, and I have deselected it now and saved the config, but I wanted to check and see if there is anything else I should do before rebooting as I fear if I reboot and crash, I won't be able to get into the system again to change settings.

I have also attached my config.plist if it is easier.
Also in my nVidia control panel, my graphics card doesn't show up in the ECC panel, not sure if it should.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment config.plist

Back