Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I’ve been busy for 4 night installing High Sierra 10.13.1. for the zillionth time. The reason why I do not use 10.13.4 is: I already have one hack with Nvidia fully working which is on 10.13.1. so in the end I cloned that HDD added EFI and mounted that HDD onto another hakintosh.

So, the problem I have is with enabling Nvidia drivers. NVIDIA web driver is properly installed and seen in the upper corner but when selected and after reboot nothing happens. The screen is still flickering and system recognizes graphics display 7 mb. Not to mention that I read and tried EVERYTHING! From lilu, nvidiafix, emu64driver etc. Nothing works.

This is my specification:

Gigabyte GA-H270-Gaming 3
Corsair RM Series ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS
Core i7-7700K
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Single DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 3xHDMI

I know that GPU is working and it’s compatible cause I used it on another hackintosh that’s running properly. I compared clover, bios from that machine and set the other (same config) but it won’t work.

However, I managed to enable nvidia drivers when I switched GPU’s but since I didn’t have WIFE, KextBeast messed up the entire setup after extracting some kexts into sys/lib/ext. Stupidly, I did not write down what I did when I fixed the problem. I know that I freshly installed High Sierra and that I did post installation with MultiBeast according to this video:

Later on I repeated the same process (as much as I could remember) but I failed over and over again.
I am able to install and run high sierra but GPU won’t work.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to NVidia where graphics acceleration comes to die. I will take a guess. Somehow your kernel cache is not including some of the NVidia Kexts. I suspect some hacks patch the NvidiaStartup kext and cause the cache to become invalid, but CSR prevents NvidiaStartup from being rebuilt with the cache. Just a hunch. I would avoid such hacks if possible. Try each of the following, rebooting and testing:

- Make sure your NVRAM is working properly. NVidia stores its state there. Important!
- Remove all NVidia hacks!
- Remove nv_disable=1 if present in boot flags. Select NVidia drivers from Finder menu.
- Uninstall NVidia web graphics. Set clover to CsrActive config set to 0. Reboot. Reinstall Nvidia. Set CsrActive back to 0x67. Reboot.
- Remove the NvidiaWebDriver option from Clover. Reboot.
- Rebuilt the kext cache. Make sure Nvidia is selected in the Finder menu.
- do a sudo kextcache -i / ignore the warnings. Do you see all the Nvidia kexts?

Last edited:
Welcome to NVidia where graphics acceleration comes to die. I will take a guess. Somehow your kernel cache is not including some of the NVidia Kexts. I suspect some hacks patch the NvidiaStartup kext and cause the cache to become invalid, but CSR prevents NvidiaStartup from being rebuilt with the cache. Just a hunch. I would avoid such hacks if possible. Try each of the following, rebooting and testing:

- Make sure your NVRAM is working properly. NVidia stores its state there. Important!
- Remove all NVidia hacks!
- Remove nv_disable=1 if present in boot flags. Select NVidia drivers from Finder menu.
- Uninstall NVidia web graphics. Set clover to CsrActive config set to 0. Reboot. Reinstall Nvidia. Set CsrActive back to 0x67. Reboot.
- Remove the NvidiaWebDriver option from Clover. Reboot.
- Rebuilt the kext cache. Make sure Nvidia is selected in the Finder menu.
- do a sudo kextcache -i / ignore the warnings. Do you see all the Nvidia kexts?

thanks for the reply. however this is not the case any more. I compared bios from my working hack to the one I was building, I adjusted the bios and VOILA, graphic was detected. then nightmare began - I connected my HDD with windows 10 on it and went to adjust few parameters in bios so I could have dual boot. after that I cannot even enter hackintosh anymore. I reset bios, adjusted again according to bios that works but in vain. I reinstalled high sierra but I can't get in. I searched for bios set up for high sierra but none works for me anymore. I have bios version f7 on Gigabyte GA-H270-Gaming 3 MOBO. Frustration is endless.

Perhaps, you have a different problem. Sounds to me like your clover install isn't recognizing the Mac OS drive. Connecting a drive should have no effect on your graphics.

Sometimes it will boot with a black screen and a flashing cursor or it will simply reboot. You can always tell its an NVDIA problem because you will at least see some logging activity on the screen (-v) and a complete blank and then then monitor sleeps on you. If you're not seeing that then look elsewhere.

Did you run windows after installing the drive? Windows try to take control of your EFI partitions on all your drives in certain circumstances. Is the Windows drive EFI? What about the MacOS one?

Perhaps, you have a different problem. Sounds to me like your clover install isn't recognizing the Mac OS drive. Connecting a drive should have no effect on your graphics.

Sometimes it will boot with a black screen and a flashing cursor or it will simply reboot. You can always tell its an NVDIA problem because you will at least see some logging activity on the screen (-v) and a complete blank and then then monitor sleeps on you. If you're not seeing that then look elsewhere.

Did you run windows after installing the drive? Windows try to take control of your EFI partitions on all your drives in certain circumstances. Is the Windows drive EFI? What about the MacOS one?

I ran WINDOWS when I tied to enable dual boot. MAC is EFI. Windows I am not sure - probably EFI as well.

Hi all,

Just letting you know if you're having difficulty installing the Nvidia driver on 10.13.1 you can follow my guide on the Pascal driver install here. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-samsung-960-evo-nvme-thunderbolt-ex3.240368/

You need to make sure that you disable SIPS and also that after installing the Apple combo updates to 13.1.2 to update the relevant Nvidia web drivers in sequence. Also need to make sure that Lilu, Nvidiagraphicsfixup and Intelgraphicsfixup are also installed in your EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13/. You also need to set the BIOS display setting to PEG and also enable the Above 4G Decoding setting.

As it stands I am currently setting up a new Asus Z370 Prime P board, and am having a little trouble myself with 10.13.4 on this install. The system can boot into HS via the Nvidia GTX1060 I am using, but for the life of me it cannot and will not run or switch over to the latest installed Nvidia web drivers no matter what I do. As it stands I have not experienced any black screens so far with the install (which I think is rather lucky).

I suspect Windows messed up your boot. I've had Windows delete my EFI folder on my Mac OS partition when I ran it. Windows 10 may have installed its bootloader on all bootable partitions, which could be overriding your MacOS bootloader.

Do the following steps:

1. Remove Windows from the equation by disconnecting the drive. See if you can boot into Mac OS. If not, then try again from the BIOS screen by select the Mac drive. If it boots, then the problem is a boot configuration problem, probably in the BIOS.
2. Using an bootable USB MacOS or moving the drive to a working MacOS machine, rebuild the Clover EFI partition by reformating it, install clover and add back your configuration.

If it boots OK, then go back to the drawing board on dual boot. I suggest you use clover exclusively for dual boot.

Okay, I managed to resolve my booting issue with my GTX1060 under .103 by installing the EmuVariableUEFI-64 driver. Also used dart=0, ngfxcompat=1 and shikigva=60 as well as NvidiaGraphicsFixup v1.2.5. Card is recognised correctly now in System Profiler.

NUMBER #6 WORKED just perfect for me.

I am having a problem getting the system to recognize my 1080ti.. downloaded the newest drivers, but they don't seem to be working. My about Mac screen says Graphics: Display 7mb.. I made the changes in clover to boot web drivers and not VGA, I am also pretty new at all of this. Any ideas?

Back