Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

Slimjim, thanks for your prompt response bud. I tried that and when I reboot its just black screen like if video is off Cuz I hear audio actually click on within my speakers. Any ideas?

So i got the driver installed but now it still defaults to the apple driver and states the NVIDIA driver is not compatible with this version of OS X... and I do have the right version WebDriver-340.02.02f02 for 14D136

View attachment 135019 i actually got in touch with NVIDIA tech support last night and they said the driver was still no good...not sure if I believe them, or if he just gave up. I can say he disappeared on the chat for a good 15 minutes...so take that for what its worth :think:

You have to use the boot flag nvda_drv=1. If you use that you are using the drivers. The preference pane will still show OS X default drivers but that is just cosmetic.

These steps definitely helped me get my Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming video card working!

Slim Jim, with your approval (and credit to you) I'd like to make a web page with this info but also a breakdown on how to add one's own non-Mac Pro model without the smart quotes. Also, I'd like to upload modified drivers where the "0" is changed to a "1" in the third scenario, for each of the listed drivers.

That's fine. You can disable smart quotes by launching Text Edit without an open document and going to its preferences, then just uncheck the box.

Added driver and OS X update process to avoid black screens or having to use nv_disable=1

Great post. Thanks. I wish I would have had this about three weeks ago for my build. It took about 6 google searches, several USB rescue boots, and several hours for me to get 15,1 working with my GTX960. It's nice to have all the info in one place, kind of like the Clover guide. Nice job.

How about this problem:

1. No graphics card in, no nVidia driver installed, BIOS set for Intel on-board graphics startup and Enabled with 1 GB memory set: Everything works just dandy.

2. Setup as above, but nVidia GeForce GT 740 card plugged into the PCIe 3.0 slot, system will boot but will not shut down.

3. BIOS reset to start graphics on PCIe slot, Intel disabled, system will still not shut down (although the card runs fine on the Apple nVidia drivers of 10.10.3).

4. Reset BIOS to condition 1. above, remove card, system works fine, including shutdown.

???????????

You don't need the nVidia drivers with the GT 740 as it's a rebadged GT 640. Uninstall the web drivers and try again.

Stork,

Thank you, I didn't know the 740 was a rebadged 640. However, as I wrote, no nVidia driver was installed. The only driver was whatever Apple provided in OS X 10.10.3. And it works fine; again as I wrote, 32.1 frames per second on "Heaven" benchmark software. The anomaly was that the computer failed to shut down, as mentioned in my original post. The difference was card in vs. card out. Out, computer shut down. In, computer would not shut down. Didn't matter how the BIOS was configured.

Problem seems to have disappeared just today; don't know why.

Stork,

Thank you, I didn't know the 740 was a rebadged 640...
See
http://www.techpowerup.com/201360/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gt-740.html
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...ce-gt-640-zotac-2gb-edition-vs-geforce-gt-740

...However, as I wrote, no nVidia driver was installed. The only driver was whatever Apple provided in OS X 10.10.3. And it works fine; again as I wrote, 32.1 frames per second on "Heaven" benchmark software. The anomaly was that the computer failed to shut down, as mentioned in my original post. The difference was card in vs. card out. Out, computer shut down. In, computer would not shut down. Didn't matter how the BIOS was configured.

Problem seems to have disappeared just today; don't know why.
Good news. :thumbup: Now, don't forget to sacrifice a chicken to the computer gods each day. :)

When doing OS updates I always make sure to wait for the Nvidia update, then drop it onto the desktop. I won't install before the update (stupid), so you always end up with a black screen, or laggy native drivers.

But, you can install the drivers after the OS X update reboot, without needing to fully login:

The installer command runs from the command line, which means we can do any of the following:

1. Boot into safe mode to install
2. SSH in remotely to install (I use my iPhone and a terminal app)
3. Console login (usename: >console; no password).

Then run something like:

sudo /usr/sbin/installer -pkg $HOME/Desktop/WebDriver-346.01.02f02.pkg -target /

Back