CPU
intel
Graphics
nvidia GTX970
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

if you modified the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext then you will also need the flag kext-dev-mode=1 because changing the file makes the signature for the kext invalid. Using kext-dev-mode=1 allows it to load.

Ah Yes I also have that flag sorry.

Edit: Have now also tried installing someone's older AppleGraphicsControl.kext then repairing permissions/kernel cache.... no dice

Motherboard
GA-z77n-wifi
CPU
intel
Graphics
nvidia GTX970
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

attempting clover install, standby.

Edit: After several attempts, can't even get clover to boot from the USB. Pathetic

Reverting to maverick's and removing 970. Guess I need to do a fresh install, something I can't afford at the moment.

Motherboard
GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

Thanks!
I find NVidiaWebdriverModder.sh that easily work around this numbering issue of the web driver.
You can google it and download this for use.

Where did you download this NVidiaWebdriverModder.sh? I installed the Apple Security Update 2015-004 and it changed my 10.10.5 system version to 14F1012 and now the web drivers stopped working because they were designed for 14F27. After trying a few things,bi uninstalled the web drivers and while I was able to reinstall the drivers by editing the system version plist file, when booting the web drivers still recognize the real system version and are being greyed out, not being able to choose them in the Nvidia preference pane. Maybe someone else knows what else I can do to solve this.

Motherboard
z590 vision g
CPU
Graphics
rx 570 red devil

hi Jim
For Problem 4, I'm thinking if there's a way to inject/patch AppleGraphicPolicy by clover, instead of modify the kext itself, if so, you don't have to modify it every time you upgrade the system (if you didn't change the simbios back to anything else from imac15,1 or macpro6,1, you'll get a black screen after you upgrade, and without the display, you will be more difficult to change the simbios ), just a guess,any suggestion? thanks in advance!

slim.jim

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

hi Jim
For Problem 4, I'm thinking if there's a way to inject/patch AppleGraphicPolicy by clover, instead of modify the kext itself, if so, you don't have to modify it every time you upgrade the system (if you didn't change the simbios back to anything else from imac15,1 or macpro6,1, you'll get a black screen after you upgrade, and without the display, you will be more difficult to change the simbios ), just a guess,any suggestion? thanks in advance!

I am not sure how to patch it on the fly using Clover. What I do is keep a duplicate config named config142.plist with an smbios for iMac14,2. From the Clover boot options menu just change "config" to "config142" and boot. Then make the changes to the file again and reboot. It has never affected iMessage or anything like that.

Motherboard
MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

Problem 4: Monitor goes to sleep at the end of the boot sequence when using iMac15,1 or MacPro 6,1 system definition

Fix: modify the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext

1. Open Terminal
  2. Enter this command (it is one line)

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. Arrow down to where you see <key>ConfigMap</key>
  4. For the iMac15,1 locate the board-id "Mac-42FD25EABCABB274" and change string below it from "Config2" to "none". For the MacPro6,1 you will do the same thing but for the board-id "Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6".
  5. Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
  6. Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
  7. Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

8. Reboot

NOTE:
you may need to use kext-dev-mode=1 if not already using it to allow the modified kext.​

THIS ONE SOLVED MY PROBLEMS BIG THANKS TO SLIMJIM love you man :)
NOTE: just updated to 10.10.5 hours ago by accident and found this solution my best work around

Motherboard
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

So far I can only boot with a GTX 970 in El Capitan using "npci=0x2000" in clover, and even then there is no acceleration (no transparency, artefacts after animations).
Clover is configured with "kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 npci=0x2000 dart=0". Any ideas?

Edit: it finally worked with Solution #4.
Additionally I have set SMBIOS to IMac 14,1, set clover to use flags "arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000 dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1", removed "darkwake".

By coincidence, handoff started working as well, so double win :D

Motherboard
Asus Z97-A
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
Asus Strix GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Hi,
Now in Capitan. No longer uses:
lex-dev-mode=1
It is now used:
rootless=0
This is to start with modified kext.

Best regards

corei3cpu

Banned
Motherboard
HP Intel 6300
CPU
Intel i5-3470
Graphics
Nvidia GT 710, Dual HDMI, 1080p
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

This is a guide to help solve issues when trying to install the NVIDIA web drivers for the first time. There are various reasons why they won't install due to checks in the package file.

Misconceptions:

You must use a MacPro3,1/4,1/5,1 profile to use the drivers - While the package does a check for those three systems, the drivers will run just fine on any system definition (iMac15,1 and MacPro6,1 are a special case, see problem #4). iMac14,2 is generally the most compatible with modern systems.

CUDA is the same as the Web Driver - CUDA and the Web Driver are not the same thing and have very different functions. CUDA is a graphics library to enable computation or rendering in certain software using the GPU. Installing CUDA will not make a Maxwell card work, you must install the Web Driver to make it work. CUDA can be installed and used on ANY mac with an NVIDIA GPU even if the Web Drivers are not installed.​

Problem 1: Computer not supported error
This is caused by the system definition not being MacPro3,1/4,1/5,1.

Fix: Edit the "Distribution" file within the package using the Flat Package Editor.

1. Download the Flat Package Editor (FPE) from Apple: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
  2. Login and search for "Auxillary Tools"
  3. Download the "Late July 2012" dmg
  4. Mount the dmg and right click Package Maker to show the package contents
  5. Browse to /Contents/Resources and copy the FPE to your Applications or Utilities folder
  6. Open the NVIDIA Web Driver package using the Flat Package Editor
  7. Drag the Distribution file to your desktop
  8. Open the Distribution file using TextEdit
  9. Scroll down to the line: var system_models = ["MacPro3,1", "MacPro4,1", "MacPro5,1"];
  10. Add your system ID.
  11. Make sure that you don't use smart quotes which look like italicized quotation marks.
  12. Save the Distribution file
  13. Go back to FPE and delete the Distribution file from that window
  14. Drag the edited Distribution file to the FPE window and save the package, command+S
  15. Run the package and you shouldn't get the error.
NOTE: Once the drivers are installed this doesn't matter anymore and you can use any system definition you like and it will update fine.​

Problem 2: This version OS X is not supported
This is caused by having the wrong driver for your installed build of OS X.

Hello,

I downloaded the latest release of Nvidia El Captian drivers.
and edited the package "Distribution" file however not I receive a Java script error?

Can someone take a look at this "Distribution" file and tell me why it is not working?

NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.11.0
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/92192/en-us

I made some modifications to the package "Distribution" file as per post #6

function InstallationCheck()
{

//if (!validateHardware()) return false;
//if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

return true;
}

However the package installation fails with a "Java Script error"

I have attached the Nvidia package "Distribution" file.

Attachments

• Distribution.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 57

slim.jim

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Hello,

I downloaded the latest release of Nvidia El Captian drivers.
and edited the package "Distribution" file however not I receive a Java script error?

Can someone take a look at this "Distribution" file and tell me why it is not working?

NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.11.0
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/92192/en-us

I made some modifications to the package "Distribution" file as per post #6

function InstallationCheck()
{

//if (!validateHardware()) return false;
//if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

return true;
}

However the package installation fails with a "Java Script error"

I have attached the Nvidia package "Distribution" file.

You probably didn't need to make any modifications. Most of the checks were removed in the 10.10.5 driver although I haven't dug into the 10.11.x drivers

UPDATE:
The checks are still not there for hardware or SMBIOS in the 10.11+ drivers.