Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

Slim Jim, I need your help. I have a Geforce 740 SC 4g. My build is okay, but has issues. The main problem is that sometimes it doesn't complete the boot. It freezes on the grey screen just before the desktop. I sometimes have to try several times (force shut down) before it boots completely and gets me to the desktop. I had the issue before I installed the Web Drivers and Cuda, and after. I was able to install the web driver 346.01.02f04 and cuda driver 7.0.36-macos, so this is not an install problem. But after installing the drivers, I'm still having the problem, plus an added problem: sometimes videos freeze or fast forward crazily, a problem I didn't have before installing driver. System definition 3,1.

Try changing to iMac14,2. It much better reflects your hardware.

Hi,Slim Jim, I am from China,I hava a problem about GTX960.My english is poor. Forgive me!
CPU:core I5-4590,motherboard:MSI H97M-P35, and GTX960.
I installed 10.10.5,and the web driver is WebDriver-346.02.03f01.Now,when i start the os,it's black screen but the os is still running.I used chamelon.boot.plist. With nv_disable=1, i can enter the os. I try start with picroot=0 or 1,black; modify SMbios for 14,1 14,2 and 15,1 black; when with 15,1 I modify AppleGraphicsControl.kext and delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext, also black.
I also tried to modify NVDAStartup.text/info.plist,<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>with none,black.
My monitor has HDMI and VGA port. At first, I used DVI-VGA,black; I tried to use DVI-HDMI, HDMI-HDMI, black......I will crazy! Please help me! Thank you very much!
This is my chamelon.boot.plist.
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 darkwake=0 dart=0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
and this is my SMbios.
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>09/04/2012</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1209042338</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac13,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02KY154DNCT</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>

Hi,Slim Jim, I am from China,I hava a problem about GTX960.My english is poor. Forgive me!
CPU:core I5-4590,motherboard:MSI H97M-P35, and GTX960.
I installed 10.10.5,and the web driver is WebDriver-346.02.03f01.Now,when i start the os,it's black screen but the os is still running.I used chamelon.boot.plist. With nv_disable=1, i can enter the os. I try start with picroot=0 or 1,black; modify SMbios for 14,1 14,2 and 15,1 black; when with 15,1 I modify AppleGraphicsControl.kext and delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext, also black.
I also tried to modify NVDAStartup.text/info.plist,<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>with none,black.
My monitor has HDMI and VGA port. At first, I used DVI-VGA,black; I tried to use DVI-HDMI, HDMI-HDMI, black......I will crazy! Please help me! Thank you very much!
This is my chamelon.boot.plist.
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 darkwake=0 dart=0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
and this is my SMbios.
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>09/04/2012</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1209042338</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac13,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02KY154DNCT</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>

Who is the manufacturer of the GTX 960?

Try changing to iMac14,2. It much better reflects your hardware.

My graphics card doesn't work with 14,2. Scrambled videos. With or without the web drivers/cuda. Ironically, other issues get fixed with 14,2. But all the videos are scrambled. Do you know of a solution?

Hi,
My evga gtx 970 is not recognized on 10.10.5, only the gpu graphic card. I installed the latest nvidia webdrivers (without issues) but I don't see any change...
I'd like to try the @naturalblue's method, but I don't even know how to use the NvidiaWebModder script :(

I got it working using the old beta drivers off 10.10.4.
I used NvidiaWebModder.sh to set the package to usable on 10.10.5.
I then installed the beta drivers and after the message came up saying that I was using incompatible drivers and would be forced to use OSX official drivers, i then ran Nvidiawebmodder.sh with the -skip-verification flag.
After a reboot the system came up using the nvidia web drivers :)

I think I have everything to do it but I don't understand the logic and no one explained clearly how it works... Someone can help me ? :angel:

Hi, I recently updated from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5. I'm on a EVGA X58 FTW3 with a GTX 970 and a 3.18GHZ i7 with 12GB RAM, Model ID MacPro3,1, KernelMode x86_64. After the update to 10.10.5 I switched to NVIDIA Web Driver and rebooted, but when I arrive at the Apple screen the loading bar gets half way done, then the monitor cuts to black. I tried using nvda_drv=1 but no luck! I just ran KEXT UTILITY and I"m rebooting as we speak. I'm connected to my LG LED display. After rebooting, it STILL froze halfway through the loading on the Apple screen. nv_disable=1 used to get me all the way to the operating system, but now it's freezing on the Apple screen. I can safe boot with -x nv_disable=1, but I'm still having issues with the NVIDIA web driver in Safe Mode. Now the NVIDIA Driver Manager asks me to re-install the package. Should I pull the card and try to reinstall? How can I get this 970 up and running? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi, I recently updated from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5. I'm on a EVGA X58 FTW3 with a GTX 970 and a 3.18GHZ i7 with 12GB RAM, Model ID MacPro3,1, KernelMode x86_64. After the update to 10.10.5 I switched to NVIDIA Web Driver and rebooted, but when I arrive at the Apple screen the loading bar gets half way done, then the monitor cuts to black. I tried using nvda_drv=1 but no luck! I just ran KEXT UTILITY and I"m rebooting as we speak. I'm connected to my LG LED display. After rebooting, it STILL froze halfway through the loading on the Apple screen. nv_disable=1 used to get me all the way to the operating system, but now it's freezing on the Apple screen. I can safe boot with -x nv_disable=1, but I'm still having issues with the NVIDIA web driver in Safe Mode. Now the NVIDIA Driver Manager asks me to re-install the package. Should I pull the card and try to reinstall? How can I get this 970 up and running? PLEASE HELP!!!!

You have the exact same build as my Hackintosh I use in my home office, minus the GTX 970 and i7 (mine is a GTX480 and i7-980 ;-) ). OS X 10.10.5 doesn't have native support for Kepler+ Cards currently...
If after rebooting, you get 'No Display' signal, use boot flag nv_disable=1 to log in.
All of the graphics kexts need to be moved so you you can run NVIDIA Web Driver.
Open Terminal, run the following commands:
sudo –s​
mkdir /kext_backup​
cd /System/Library/Extensions​
mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* AMDRadeon* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* /kext_backup​
Copy modded AppleGraphicsControl.kext into S/L/E and repair permissions with Kext Utility.

Next download and install the latest web driver NVIDIA Web Driver 346.02.03f01 since 10.10.5 breaks compatibility with native graphics kexts.
NOTE: Remember to add kernel flag nvda_drv=1 in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and go to the NVIDIA Driver Manager menu bar at the top, change the settings to use Web drivers, and restart.

You should be good to go after that.

Thanks, Slim.Jim! Very useful.

Does anyone have any knowledge about El Capitan, Clover, and the latest Nvidia web driver? I installed the GM and can't get 10.11 to boot without nv_disable=1 even with the Nvidia web driver installed without (as far as I can tell) any issues. When I enable nvda_drv=1, my system boots right to the point where the video is initialized and the login screen is about to pop up, then it immediately reboots.

Does anyone have any knowledge about El Capitan, Clover, and the latest Nvidia web driver? I installed the GM and can't get 10.11 to boot without nv_disable=1 even with the Nvidia web driver installed without (as far as I can tell) any issues. When I enable nvda_drv=1, my system boots right to the point where the video is initialized and the login screen is about to pop up, then it immediately reboots.

What driver did you install?

Back