Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks for replying.

When I remove all boot flags from the Clover configuration (Options >> Boot Args), I still get the black screen that attempts to load the desktop: the white Apple logo on a black screen appears with a progress bar, then it goes to a black screen and no desktop.

So any or no boot Args results in a black screen. NV_Disable=1 gives me the white Apple logo on a black screen, then a busy circle appears overlaid on top of the progress bar. Then it freezes although I do see HDD activity. Then nothing.

Should I pull the card out of the chassis and reboot? Would that do anything if I used the integrated video off the motherboard?

Thanks for your help

All righty. Out of desperation, I pulled the video card out of the chassis and plugged my Displayport cable straight to the MB and... Same damn thing.

I took out all boot Args... Nothing. Black screen that has a progress bar appear, then black screen... Again and again
I put nv_disable=1 back in the boot Args... Same thing
I found my USB El Capitan boot disk.. That booted, so I repaired permissions using First Aid under Disk Utility. Rebooted... Same thing with the progress bar then nothing.

Has ANYONE seen this before? There are no Nvidia card in my PC, so what is causing OSX not to start the desktop?

Help!

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Screw it. Reinstalled from scratch only to have the Security Update fsck the whole thing up again. Lol. Can't win with this ****.

Hi - I'm currently suffering from Problem #4, but as the screen goes black I can't work out a way in which I'm able to apply these fixes. I changed the profile to the iMac 17,1 and since restarting it's just been a black screen after the boot sequence. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170-HD3
CPU
i5 6600
Graphics
MSI GTX960 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi - I'm currently suffering from Problem #4, but as the screen goes black I can't work out a way in which I'm able to apply these fixes. I changed the profile to the iMac 17,1 and since restarting it's just been a black screen after the boot sequence. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
When you boot with the nv_disable=1 boot flag, are you able to boot?
If so, use that boot flag, make your modifications, then try rebooting with the nvda_drvr=1 boot flag.

Hi everyone, i have a Mac Pro 5.1. It had a Radeon HD 5770 installed. I wanted to run a 4K HP Z27s screen, so i bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I installed the nVidia software and everything was running smoothly on a DisplayPort cable... until I hit the Software Update button and it installed some 10.11 update and after a reboot the screen is black. I put back the HD 5770, but to my surprise, the screen is still black... I'm using the DVI-out on the Radeon and the HDMI-in on the HP Z27s. I have no clue what to do. Please help. I can return the favour by doing some large format prints, which is what i specialize in :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170-HD3
CPU
i5 6600
Graphics
MSI GTX960 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, i have a Mac Pro 5.1. It had a Radeon HD 5770 installed. I wanted to run a 4K HP Z27s screen, so i bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I installed the nVidia software and everything was running smoothly on a DisplayPort cable... until I hit the Software Update button and it installed some 10.11 update and after a reboot the screen is black. I put back the HD 5770, but to my surprise, the screen is still black... I'm using the DVI-out on the Radeon and the HDMI-in on the HP Z27s. I have no clue what to do. Please help. I can return the favour by doing some large format prints, which is what i specialize in :)
Assuming that you have the latest webdrivers installed, that your computer in still running, and you just have black screens (You can remote into it.), use Shilohh's AGDPfix mentioned in Problem 4 (or one of the other methods listed there).

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Assuming that you have the latest webdrivers installed, that your computer in still running, and you just have black screens (You can remote into it.), use Shilohh's AGDPfix mentioned in Problem 4 (or one of the other methods listed there).
No, don't use Shilohh's AGDPfix on a real Mac Pro! He needs to update the Nvidia web drivers as the security update changed the build number. I don't happen to remember how to fix NVRAM, but he can find that information on the MacRumors' forum, Mac Pro forum section.

No, don't use Shilohh's AGDPfix on a real Mac Pro! He needs to update the Nvidia web drivers as the security update changed the build number. I don't happen to remember how to fix NVRAM, but he can find that information on the MacRumors' forum, Mac Pro forum section.

Thank You Stork. Indeed, that's a real Mac Pro. I want to update the nVidia Web Drivers, but the thing is - I can't get it to show any screen where i could operate it so that i could update them. I even popped in the old HD 5770 to get it running, but no luck. It's still a dark screen. It should run on the old card, shouldn't it? I think i can only pop a second HDD and try installing a fresh system. But I really don't get why the old card doesn't work either. Maybe it's the fault of the fact that the screen is a 4K HP 27s?

slim.jim

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank You Stork. Indeed, that's a real Mac Pro. I want to update the nVidia Web Drivers, but the thing is - I can't get it to show any screen where i could operate it so that i could update them. I even popped in the old HD 5770 to get it running, but no luck. It's still a dark screen. It should run on the old card, shouldn't it? I think i can only pop a second HDD and try installing a fresh system. But I really don't get why the old card doesn't work either. Maybe it's the fault of the fact that the screen is a 4K HP 27s?

Is the 5770 an official Mac card? If so, have you done a PRAM reset?

Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI Extreme
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Perhaps someone can help me, I can't seem to get them to load on Sierra GM.

I installed the latest, but for whatever reason they don't load. I am using the same config.plist as I did in El Capitan, so nvda_drv=1 is definitely present, and I have EmuVariable installed as well, and tried the RC scripts method.

Is there anything past this that might work? Thankfully I don't need these drivers for a fully functional computer, but it would be beneficial. Everything else is working flawlessly, even my NVMe 950 Pro!