i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm having issues getting my TB card to show up in the BIOS, let alone windows, it appears it's not working, I've reseated the card and unplugged/plugged it back in, but no luck. The card is seated in the lowest PCIE lane on the MOBO which should be PCIEX4. The cable is plugged into the THB_C header on the MOBO. I've installed the latest drivers, updated my BIOS firmware to F6. I read something about making sure the BIOS Other Pcie Devices was set to Legacy, which I changed it over from UEFI but still no luck. What gives?!

I'm having issues getting my TB card to show up in the BIOS, let alone windows, it appears it's not working, I've reseated the card and unplugged/plugged it back in, but no luck. The card is seated in the lowest PCIE lane on the MOBO which should be PCIEX4. The cable is plugged into the THB_C header on the MOBO. I've installed the latest drivers, updated my BIOS firmware to F6. I read something about making sure the BIOS Other Pcie Devices was set to Legacy, which I changed it over from UEFI but still no luck. What gives?!

Hey imgarrett, did you end up figuring this out? I am having the same issue trying to get the Z370-OP to show TB in the bios ... only 1 bios ver available.

Hey imgarrett, did you end up figuring this out? I am having the same issue trying to get the Z370-OP to show TB in the bios ... only 1 bios ver available.
Yeah I solved it with no thanks to the tonymac forum. It's important to read your mobo instruction manual, I had a ssd in the lowest m2 slot that shares bandwith the pcie x4 lane so whenever you have an ssd in that slot it ends up cancelling out the pcie x4 lane.

Yeah I solved it with no thanks to the tonymac forum. It's important to read your mobo instruction manual, I had a ssd in the lowest m2 slot that shares bandwith the pcie x4 lane so whenever you have an ssd in that slot it ends up cancelling out the pcie x4 lane.

I'm curious if you're still running with the same setup or if you found an alternate method. Because I have the same mobo and I would hate to give up one of my m.2 drives in order to install a Thunderbolt card. Are you positive that the lowest m.2 has to be removed? The manual says bandwidth is shared between the m.2 and the PCI x4, but says nothing explicit about one canceling the other (whereas it does explicitly say that some SATA ports are disabled when using m.2 drives in the upper or middle slots).

I'm curious if you're still running with the same setup or if you found an alternate method. Because I have the same mobo and I would hate to give up one of my m.2 drives in order to install a Thunderbolt card. Are you positive that the lowest m.2 has to be removed? The manual says bandwidth is shared between the m.2 and the PCI x4, but says nothing explicit about one canceling the other (whereas it does explicitly say that some SATA ports are disabled when using m.2 drives in the upper or middle slots).

This MB seems to have limitations that aren't made apparent in the manual as with my current setup, TB is no longer working again, unless there is some sort of coding fix that can be setup in CLOVER under DSDT, but all the coding and fixes that are inputted into CLOVER are beyond me as I have yet to dive deep enough to attempt to understand everything. In addition no one on these forums seems to be much of any help when it comes to my problem, I never seem to get any responses when I have an issue.

I have the same setup still, no one says you have to get rid of your m.2 as the board has 3 slots. I just moved my m.2 to the top slot right below the CPU so I I'm using both the top and the middle slots. OSX on one and WIN 10 on the other, I see no need for 3 m.2's if that's what you're running. Unfortunately as I stated there are limitations that aren't stated in the manual as with my current setup running 2 m.2's, and 4 sata drives, TB under OSX thunderbolt no longer works, but as soon as I disconnect 2 of the sata drives, thunderbolt works again, so with my limited knowledge it seems that the TB seems to be sharing bandwith. I cannot remember if this issue is the same in WIN10, I will have to test this theory again but I am positive because as soon as I had hooked up 2 more sata drives TB stopped working. I'm most likely going to get a nas to get around this issue which is rather unfortunate, or I may end up eventually changing MB's moving over to ASUS as there seems to be more support here on the forums for TB as well as hotplug functionality.

Thanks for the update. I just got a Titan Ridge card to see what I can do with Thunderbolt. When I have time I'll give it a try and will update here.

As for the m.2s, I'm dual booting so I've got two slots filled, but unfortunately I was hoping to put in a third as a super fast temp media/scratch disk for 4K video editing (based off some other recommendations I'd heard). If Thunderbolt 3 ends up working, I'm sure I'll be pretty okay with that concession.

Thanks for the update. I just got a Titan Ridge card to see what I can do with Thunderbolt. When I have time I'll give it a try and will update here.

As for the m.2s, I'm dual booting so I've got two slots filled, but unfortunately I was hoping to put in a third as a super fast temp media/scratch disk for 4K video editing (based off some other recommendations I'd heard). If Thunderbolt 3 ends up working, I'm sure I'll be pretty okay with that concession.

Hi @seanparkerfilms , did you ever get your Titan Ridge card working? I'm considering doing a build with the Z370 Gaming 7 + Gigabyte Titan Ridge card. Thanks!

Hi @seanparkerfilms , did you ever get your Titan Ridge card working? I'm considering doing a build with the Z370 Gaming 7 + Gigabyte Titan Ridge card. Thanks!
I haven't yet. Was planning to wait on Nvidia releasing new web drivers and doing a full Mojave upgrade before giving that a shot. Hope I won't have to wait much longer...

I haven't yet. Was planning to wait on Nvidia releasing new web drivers and doing a full Mojave upgrade before giving that a shot. Hope I won't have to wait much longer...
Hi @seanparkerfilms I'm trying to dual boot the m.2 drives and use the Gigabyte Titan Ridge card on the Z370 Gaming 7 were you able to get it working? Or are you still waiting on the Nvidia drivers?

This MB seems to have limitations that aren't made apparent in the manual as with my current setup, TB is no longer working again, unless there is some sort of coding fix that can be setup in CLOVER under DSDT, but all the coding and fixes that are inputted into CLOVER are beyond me as I have yet to dive deep enough to attempt to understand everything. In addition no one on these forums seems to be much of any help when it comes to my problem, I never seem to get any responses when I have an issue.

I have the same setup still, no one says you have to get rid of your m.2 as the board has 3 slots. I just moved my m.2 to the top slot right below the CPU so I I'm using both the top and the middle slots. OSX on one and WIN 10 on the other, I see no need for 3 m.2's if that's what you're running. Unfortunately as I stated there are limitations that aren't stated in the manual as with my current setup running 2 m.2's, and 4 sata drives, TB under OSX thunderbolt no longer works, but as soon as I disconnect 2 of the sata drives, thunderbolt works again, so with my limited knowledge it seems that the TB seems to be sharing bandwith. I cannot remember if this issue is the same in WIN10, I will have to test this theory again but I am positive because as soon as I had hooked up 2 more sata drives TB stopped working. I'm most likely going to get a nas to get around this issue which is rather unfortunate, or I may end up eventually changing MB's moving over to ASUS as there seems to be more support here on the forums for TB as well as hotplug functionality.

Hi @imgarrett I'm running almost the exact same setup and I'm trying to decide between using just 1 m.2 in the middle slot or using your configuration with 1 m.2 in the top slot and m.2 in the middle. But I was wondering if you're still having the issue where you have disconnect 2 of the sata drives in order for thunderbolt to work. That isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, but I don't want to buy drives that I won't be able to use so I want to plan accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back