Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Somewhere along the way my good and faithful WOL got lost along the way. This manifests itself in both my Skylake and Haswell hacks.
I have not used the feature for some time now but this morning, when I tried to demonstrate this feature to a friend, I discovered that WOL has awoled :) and deserted me. Pmset -g shows that womp (wake on magic packet is 1, in other words enabled) "Wake for network access" is also enabled in System Preferences/Energy saver, as well as in bios.
WOL used to work quite well on both machines, when invoked from a utility on my iPhone or iPad. That same utility has no problems waking the Linux servers on my network. I have tested this feature also with an Apple USB Gigabit Ethernet adaptor that uses native Apple kexts, also with that one WOL does not function.

Is this perhaps a known issue with High Sierra ? I am positive that it actually used to work in High Sierra 10.13.1 or 2, not sure anymore. In both cases, Skylake and Haswell, I have always used the onboard NIC's in manual configuration, in other words there has been no ip or mac address change. Configuration of the WOL utility on my iPad is also still consistent with the NIC parameters (ip and mac).
I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.
Greetings

After some further testing I discovered that Windows 10 can indeed be woken with a magic packet even
when Windows has been shutdown.
The difference between a Windows 10 and macOS High Sierra shutdown is that with Windows 10 the network "LAN link" between the computer and its port on the 8 port gigabit switch it connects to, remains alive, as evidenced by the led on the NIC as well as the port on the switch still being lit, whereas with macOS those same leds are NOT lit and indeed their light output is zero once macOS has shutdown. This tells me that no matter what packages one throws at macOS there is just no way of waking the machine. Some "residual" power surely needs to remain available to the NIC when the machine has been shut down in order to be woken again with a magic packet, as is the case with Windows on the same machine,
NIC and consequently MAC address, that works with Windows.
Any ideas and suggestions that will hopefully resolve this issue will be most welcome.
Greetings

Wake for network access is not the same thing as wake on LAN.
WOL boots the computer from a powered off state whereas Wake for network access wakes a sleeping computer that is already powered on and booted.
The way that I have seen it explained is that the Windows drivers when enabled put the network interface into a WOL condition, the Mac drivers lack this function.
There are several apps that claim to add this facility with various levels of success reported.

Wake for network access is not the same thing as wake on LAN.
WOL boots the computer from a powered off state whereas Wake for network access wakes a sleeping computer that is already powered on and booted.
The way that I have seen it explained is that the Windows drivers when enabled put the network interface into a WOL condition, the Mac drivers lack this function.
There are several apps that claim to add this facility with various levels of success reported.
Hi @P1LGRIM Thank you for clarifying the difference between "Wake for network access" and "WOL"
As far as WOL is concerned I am therefore actually looking for a needle in a haystack because the IntelMausiEyhernet.kext V2.4, that I am using, does not have WOL functionality routines built into its codebase. Fair and square, however "Wake for network access" is also not working. Once I put High Sierra to sleep the "LAN link" to my switch also gets broken, as explained in the previous post, and then there is no way to wake the machine with a magic packet. Any ideas how to rectify, troubleshoot and fix this problem ? Attached a snapshot of my energy saver. By the way both hacks are working like a dream in all other respects, sleep and USB functionality included.
Greetings

Attachments

• Energgy Saver.jpeg
    Energgy Saver.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 478
As far as WOL is concerned I am therefore actually looking for a needle in a haystack because the IntelMausiEyhernet.kext V2.4, that I am using, does not have WOL functionality routines built into its codebase. Fair and square, however "Wake for network access" is also not working. Once I put High Sierra to sleep the "LAN link" to my switch also gets broken, as explained in the previous post, and then there is no way to wake the machine with a magic packet. Any ideas how to rectify, troubleshoot and fix this problem ? Attached a snapshot of my energy saver. By the way both hacks are working like a dream in all other respects, sleep and USB functionality included.
I too use the IntelMausiEthernet.kext V2.4.0 and have no problems with Wake for network access.

I too use the IntelMausiEthernet.kext V2.4.0 and have no problems with Wake for network access.
Hi @P1LGRIM Just wandering what the state of your ethernet link is when your Lenovo is sleeping, any lights indicating that your LAN link to your switch or whatever you use, lit or flasching ? Mine are all dead during sleep mode, which I believe is the reason that I cannot wake it.

Hi @P1LGRIM Just wandering what the state of your ethernet link is when your Lenovo is sleeping, any lights indicating that your LAN link to your switch or whatever you use, lit or flasching ? Mine are all dead during sleep mode, which I believe is the reason that I cannot wake it.
Yes, the lights are active while the computer sleeps.
You do have Wake on LAN enabled in your BIOS settings don't you ?
The other thing that can have some bearing on it is the Darkwake setting in your config.plist.

Yes, the lights are active while the computer sleeps.
You do have Wake on LAN enabled in your BIOS settings don't you ?
The other thing that can have some bearing on it is the Darkwake setting in your config.plist.
Yes in bios Wake on LAN is indeed enabled. I am using Darwake=8 and have always done so, even during the
time when waking was working. Something changed in the interim, if I only knew what. Will try to toggle through
all the Darkwake settings and see what happens, will report on outcome of tests.

Yes in bios Wake on LAN is indeed enabled. I am using Darwake=8 and have always done so, even during the
time when waking was working. Something changed in the interim, if I only knew what. Will try to toggle through
all the Darkwake settings and see what happens, will report on outcome of tests.

This is how mine is :

Darkwake.png

This is how mine is :?
I have now iterated through all of the Darkwake options in both my builds with none leaving the NICs some power during sleep. Wake on LAN therefore remains broken. Because none of the Darkwake options seem to change anything from
what I have been used to over the years I now settled on just Darkwake, being the setting you use.
Anything else you can think of ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back