Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
It never rains but it pours. On my Skylake build the audio output stage is broken. Sound is terribly distorted. It happened when I plugged in a Harman Kardan Soundstick III speaker system without me powering the system down. The output stage got overloaded and that was the end of it. The distortion also manifests itself in Windows, so it is not a driver or configuration problem, as it was working quite well before I blew it :)
I was wandering if I could get audio back by configuring HDMI audio, and connect the stereo speakers to the headphone out jack
at the back of the monitor, as per the attachment. I figure that would bypass the broken output stage/amplifier on the mobo and restore my stereo sound. I believe volume may then have to be adjusted on the speakers.

OH by the way the monitor does not have speakers, only the headphone jack.

Any suggestions to put me on the right track would be most welcome.

Attachments

• LG-27UD58.jpeg
    LG-27UD58.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
It never rains but it pours. On my Skylake build the audio output stage is broken. Sound is terribly distorted. It happened when I plugged in a Harman Kardan Soundstick III speaker system without me powering the system down. The output stage got overloaded and that was the end of it. The distortion also manifests itself in Windows, so it is not a driver or configuration problem, as it was working quite well before I blew it :)
I was wandering if I could get audio back by configuring HDMI audio, and connect the stereo speakers to the headphone out jack
at the back of the monitor, as per the attachment. I figure that would bypass the broken output stage/amplifier on the mobo and restore my stereo sound. I believe volume may then have to be adjusted on the speakers.

OH by the way the monitor does not have speakers, only the headphone jack.

Any suggestions to put me on the right track would be most welcome.

EDIT:
Audio is now working via DP and the stereo headphone output of any 1 of the 2 LG-27UD58 monitors.
Procedure used:
Disabled faulty onboard Audio in bios of the Skylake build - mobo GA-Z170X-UD3
Replaced AppleHDA.kext Version 281.51 with AppleHDA.kext Version 280.12 from HS 10.13.3 using kextbeast.
Removed all kext to patch entries in config.plist relating to HDA audio.
Removed realtekALC.kext from Clover/Kexts/other.
Ran @toleda 's "audio_cloverHDMI-130_v0.8.command script" and rebooted.

Audio now works like a dream again, see attached pic. For volume I use the controls of the various apps I am using for playbackKodi, VLC even iTunes, although I hardly ever use that one. The volume control of the Harman Kardan Speedstick III
also works. Alert sounds work as before with the volume also adjustable as before.

Greets

Attachments

• Audio via DP .jpeg
    Audio via DP .jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back