Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] With High Sierra (newest clover) not able to boot Win10 USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU
Intel I7 7700K
Graphics
Asus GeForce 1060 Strix 6G
Hi all,

i have successfully installed high sierra, but since the newest efi/clover now on my computer, im not able to boot to a uefi bootable win10 usb. for a dual boot solution. On clover i get 3 options, mgrboot, cdboot, and boot from disk or somehting like that. The first one gives a black screen, the second one, just a blinking _ and the last one (cdboot) i get a clover verbose like notification that EFI is overwritten on microsoft/boot/***.efi

Anybody got a clue? I made the disk with Rufus. Should work right.
Booting right from bios, gives just a black screen and back to bios window.

Hi all,

i have successfully installed high sierra, but since the newest efi/clover now on my computer, im not able to boot to a uefi bootable win10 usb. for a dual boot solution. On clover i get 3 options, mgrboot, cdboot, and boot from disk or somehting like that. The first one gives a black screen, the second one, just a blinking _ and the last one (cdboot) i get a clover verbose like notification that EFI is overwritten on microsoft/boot/***.efi

Are you trying to install Windows 10 to a separate drive (other than the one with MacOS High Sierra on it)?

If so, shutdown the computer and temporarily disconnect your MacOS drive, and then just boot the Windows 10 USB to install Windows 10 on your other drive. After Windows is installed, shutdown the computer and reconnect the MacOS drive, configure the MacOS drive as the first boot drive in the BIOS, and boot the computer to allow clover to (hopefully) detect your Windows installation and offer it as an option.

Are you trying to install Windows 10 to a separate drive (other than the one with MacOS High Sierra on it)?

If so, shutdown the computer and temporarily disconnect your MacOS drive, and then just boot the Windows 10 USB to install Windows 10 on your other drive. After Windows is installed, shutdown the computer and reconnect the MacOS drive, configure the MacOS drive as the first boot drive in the BIOS, and boot the computer to allow clover to (hopefully) detect your Windows installation and offer it as an option.

Tried that, but still not booting. now its trying and sending back to BIOS.. seems no HS/Clover boot issue then.
No sure what the issue is. tried 2 Windows iso's, and worked with the Rufus way everywhere described.

Hi all,

Please update your Profile with your Hardware (Motherboard+CPU+Graphics) by clicking the
"human icon" on the top menu bar (toward its right end) of this Forum Page>"Personal Details" and edit the boxes for "Motherboard+CPU+ Graphics".

It is not clear from your post if you are trying to dual boot from two separate Hard disks or from the same single hard disk but from separate partitions, one partition already successfully booting to High Sierra.

Assuming you have a separate hard disk , here is what I would do .

• Disconnect the disk with High Sierra from the System and connect only the disk targeted for Windows 10 UEFI installation

• Boot using Windows 10 UEFI USB and complete the installation and finish updates and other application installations you need in Windows system disk.
  • Shut Down the System.
  • Reconnect macOS High Sierra Disk to First SATA port and Windows 10 disk to the next
  • Reboot and press the hotkey (like Del) to enter BIOS setup. DO NOT let computer to boot to the System yet
  • In the BIOS, make macOS High Sierra System Disk as First boot device and Save
  • Reboot and select which ever one you want from Clover Boot Manager

Thanks, i updated the info. Great info, and was exactly planning that procedure. but for some reason Win 10 UEFI USB does not seem to boot. Made it with RUFUS under a dedicated windows machine so not sure whats wrong.

Thanks, i updated the info. Great info, and was exactly planning that procedure. but for some reason Win 10 UEFI USB does not seem to boot. Made it with RUFUS under a dedicated windows machine so not sure whats wrong.
  • Make sure you have the GPT, NTFS options still in the boxes of Rufus BEFORE you click Start button to create the USB UEFI Windows 10 Installer Flash disk .
  • The Rufus screen has a tendency to go back to the default while you browse to get the OS image from the source folder and you may end up with unbootable disk if you don't check again before clicking START!
  • See uploaded images for default and properly configured Rufus screens for guidance.

Attachments

• Rufus default screen.png
    Rufus default screen.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Rufus for Windows 10.png
    Rufus for Windows 10.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 139
worked out, downloaded a fresh iso from microsoft itself. then rufus and boom, it booted.

worked out, downloaded a fresh iso from microsoft itself. then rufus and boom, it booted.

Great!c:clap:
Can you please edit your Post's Title with a prefix [SOLVED] . This way others can find your post during search as a resource for the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back