Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] WindowServer Crashes (a lot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Sony VAIO Fit Multi-flip 15A (SVF15N1S2E)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4200U (Intel Haswell)
Graphics
Intel HD 4400 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Edit: Solved
-----------

I've updated my perfectly running Yosemite 10.10.5 system to El Capitan. Everything went well except one major bug/problem. The WindowsServer keeps crashing and it seems to be caused by a Graphic issue. In all System Diagnostic reports of the Windows Server crashes I see either

Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics kernel error: 0x00000002

or

Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics kernel error: 0x00000003

I also have some graphical glitches once in while...

Because of these issues I tried a whole new fresh install of El Capitan (that is, no upgrade of Yosemite and no extra apps). A fresh install doesn't fix it. I have the same crashes over and over again (each crash causes a log out, so I have to log in again)

I also tried the Nvidia web drivers instead of the built-in ones, but to no avail. Used the newest FakeSMC.kext

I'm using two graphical cards and 3 monitors (a GeForce 9400 GT (Asus) connected to 1 monitor and a GeForce GT 610) connected to 2 monitors)

Any ideas?

(I added two crash reports in a zip file for more details)

EDIT (Solved): After a lot of experimenting I could trace this problem back to an old video card I was using. This GeForce 9400 GT card was responsible for these crashes (see message in this thread)

Attachments

• crashreports.zip
    26.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
WindowServer Crashes (a lot)

BTW I'm using Clover. Maybe the GeForce 9400 GT is too old and not supported?

Nvidia 9400 works just fine. You need to inject so add inject nvidia to true. If your using clover configurator then tick inject nvidia. You may also need PCIRootUID=1 under boot Args.

I've enabled the nvidia injection in config.plist. Will try PCIRootUID=1 as boot argument. Thanks, hope it helps.

Only use PCIRootUID=1 if you get a black screen after OS X has booted.

In that case it won't solve the issue. (As I had already nvidia injection enabled). Any other ideas?

(Solved) WindowServer Crashes

Definitely a GeForce 9400 GT related problem.
When the crashes occurred I was mainly working on the monitor that was connected to the 9400 card.
I switched to a monitor connected to my other card (GeForce 610) and hadn't a single crash. After a couple of hours I moved an app to the monitor connected to the 9400 card, used the app for a couple of minutes and kabang.... Window Server crash.

Hope this helps someone to pinpoint their windows server crashes (which one will experience as a brutal, spontaneous logout... which it isn't)

Definitely a GeForce 9400 GT related problem.
When the crashes occurred I was mainly working on the monitor that was connected to the 9400 card.
I switched to a monitor connected to my other card (GeForce 610) and hadn't a single crash. After a couple of hours I moved an app to the monitor connected to the 9400 card, used the app for a couple of minutes and kabang.... Window Server crash.

Hope this helps someone to pinpoint their windows server crashes (which one will experience as a brutal, spontaneous logout... which it isn't)

I reported the exact same issue with my GTX285s. I have recently purchased a GTX950 SSC to avoid this issue now. I had received zero response from the community about this issue. My theory is that El Capitan has given up on the older cards. inject with nvidia is the only option for me to boot up, but as you said, this does nothing as i get random logouts, etc.. I tried web drivers with a nonstop boot up loop. May be in future updates El Capitan will resolve this issue.

I reported the exact same issue with my GTX285s. I have recently purchased a GTX950 SSC to avoid this issue now. I had received zero response from the community about this issue. My theory is that El Capitan has given up on the older cards. inject with nvidia is the only option for me to boot up, but as you said, this does nothing as i get random logouts, etc.. I tried web drivers with a nonstop boot up loop. May be in future updates El Capitan will resolve this issue.
Ha, this gives me the opportunity to thank you! I did a lot of research and debugging and couldn't solve this issue. I almost restored my good old 10.10.5 Yosemite built till I read your comment in another thread. Thanks!

Have you overclocked your RAM at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back